Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Networking Workgroup  (Read 3135 times)

truetaurus

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    XP Networking Workgroup
    « on: December 09, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
    I have a small network in the office. Every computer is under the Workgroup office. Windows XP on all.

Now i have 3 computers:
    1) Boss
    2) Accounts
    3) Reception

Is there a way to set security/sharing of folders so that only certain computers/users can access the folder.

For example, I have a folder called 'data' on the Boss computer, I only want Accounts to access it while reception cant. data is also the only folder they should be able to access. I also want Boss to be able to access the the other computers with full control. Is there a way to do this with Workgroups? From what i tried it cant really be done. I share/secure it by adding a user that I have on Boss, so when i try access the folder from accounts, they should be able to enter the login details and get access, but now it just keeps saying Not enough permission etc. If I add the user everyone, then everyone can access it no problem but thats not what i want, i want selective user accesses.

help

jith

Rookie
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: XP Networking Workgroup
      « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »
      Hi,

Just create two users on boss (Accounts and Reception ).. If you want to restrict the access to data folder, just add the user account 'Accounts ' to its shearing permissions, then you are able to access the folder by passing the correct user credentials from any computer with in the workgroup, ie  you need to give the account user as  Boss\Accounts with right password when accessing the data folder on the network..

If you want to restrict to all users on a specific computer there is no direct way, as access is controlled by account. You could filter the
      needed ports so that only that computer could use filesharing with that specific computer, but the actual access would still be controlled
      by the accounts in use to attempt the connection. Enabling Guest within an IP+Port restricted sharing is possible but in reality is a bad option..
      Regards,
      JiTh,
      Sr.Server Administrator

truetaurus

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 11:04:23 PM »
        i tried that, but when i try open the folder from another computer, it says i dont have permissions, never asks for the username and passowrd

jith

Rookie
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 11:38:44 PM »
          Try to avoid 'simple files sharing' in the system (My computer, tools, folders options, view, scroll down to the end, and uncheck it... you may/may not need to restart)

Also you need to check any firewall is blocking connections!
          Regards,
          JiTh,
          Sr.Server Administrator

truetaurus

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 06:21:31 AM »
            iv done all of that
            ?