Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: So I did something stupid...  (Read 5101 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: So I did something stupid...
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »
how about "I flashed my BIOS with an excel spreadsheet?"

or

"I flashed my BIOS and now I'm to embarassed to talk to it"
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 11:32:27 AM »
There is a UK company that charges 24.99 UK pounds (38.90 US dollars) to reflash a soldered laptop BIOS chip, if you send them the motherboard, and 79.99 pounds (124.72 US dollars) if you send the whole laptop for them to dismantle and reassemble, and they say email them first to see if the BIOS is supported. Other companies charge more to do the complete job, I have no reason to suppose these prices will not translate to other currencies reasonably well.

If the BIOS is an SPI type (Serial Programming Interface) there may be an SPI header near the chip to which the repair company can attach a cable and an Eeprom flasher without unsoldering the chip.

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
Actually i personally would be too embarrassed to admit i used a MAC flash on the BIOS...

As Salmon suggested....come up with another line.

I've actually posted this on Apple discussions looking for answers there too, I just 'technically' copied this post from there to here, I'd want to edit my main post again but the 15-limit editing time is rubbish.

Here it is *sigh* : http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2633340&tstart=0

And to the other posters about HOW exactly I did this,

Ok. This was possibly the most stupidest thing I ever did... So yeah, here we go.

I used 7zip and a few other progs. as the opening utility, I was quite tired and literally sleep-blinded at the time to know what I was really doing...

I was trying to look for my downgraded BIOS Image I had from my USB stick I plugged into the Dell Mini.
Ok here's what I did, I used the trackpad to move around the cursor (I should've used a mouse) But the auto-tap-to-click thing got it's way and I somehow must've double-clicked on the Mac BIOS (this BIOS was 'ripped' from another Flash Utility by Apple for their Macs). It actually wasn't an old Mac, I just found it out. It was named in something according to: MB#####. Possibly a dollar sign ($) was in there.

After importing it in, I had assumed for the best, that nothing had changed and tried it anyways.

The computer seemed to have a seizure after running it, so I didn't do anything until the next morning, the battery died (I didn't leave it plugged in) so I didn't know how much the computer suffered alive, whatever it did it Ruined the BIOS actually.

And then comes the part where turning it on does nothing but beep...

It's a little similar to this case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGoIjrR2RFo :P
Just foward a bit to the middle of the video, you'll see what I mean.