Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer struggle to boot after install/uninstall of a slave HDD  (Read 2703 times)

hkpowah

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    computer struggle to boot after install/uninstall of a slave HDD
    « on: December 30, 2010, 06:38:48 PM »
    computer info: HP- AMD Athlon 64x2, MOBO: ASUS A8M2N-LA supports 4xATA-150 diskdrives, SeagateBarracuda SATA 360GB HDD, DDR2 PC-4200 4G RAM. Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS. Corsair 550W PS.

Recently, I tried to install a Maxtor DiamondMax 200GB HDD. The Maxtor HDD did not have SATA connectors, only the standard. I connected the new HDD to the mobo via the PATA cable. The cable was plugged into the blue slot on the mobo, the hdd at the end of the cable, took out the jumper based on the instructions to make the new HDD slave. The computer recognized it, i updated the driver for Maxtor because this was a brand new HDD that was 2 years old, i partitioned it and it works.

The problem arise when i turn on the computer, it fail to recognize or boot up from the new slave HDD, i see a blank/black screen with a blinking cursor mark. I have to turn off the computer, turn it back on, load up the boot menu and manually select the original/master HDD with the OS to boot correctly. One thing to mention is, when
    in the boot menu, the two HDD are shown on two lines; 1st Drive Maxtor(slave), 3rd Drive Seagate(master).

Seeing this headache, i decided to uninstall the new slave HDD. I disabled the HDD under device manager, it removed the HDD drive from "my computer". depower the computer, unplug HDD and cables. Restart computer.
    The computer fail to boot up, leaving a blank/black screen with a blinking cursor mark. Restart computer, enter boot menu, select the remaining HDD to boot, takes a long time to boot up 10X the normal time, though the computer works, i just need to do if i turn off the computer.

Is there something i can do to remedy this? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: computer struggle to boot after install/uninstall of a slave HDD
    « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 07:06:04 AM »
    If you want it to boot from this drive....and i think i read that correctly....it should be jumpered master.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:06:47 PM »
    1.  The problem arise when i turn on the computer, it fail to recognize or boot up from the new slave HDD, i see a blank/black screen with a blinking cursor mark.
    2.  I have to turn off the computer, turn it back on, load up the boot menu and manually select the original/master HDD with the OS to boot correctly.  One thing to mention is, when in the boot menu, the two HDD are shown on two lines; 1st Drive Maxtor(slave), 3rd Drive Seagate(master).
    3.  i decided to uninstall the new slave HDD. I disabled the HDD under device manager, it removed the HDD drive from "my computer". depower the computer, unplug HDD and cables. Restart computer.
    4.  The computer fail to boot up, leaving a blank/black screen with a blinking cursor mark. Restart computer, enter boot menu, select the remaining HDD to boot, takes a long time to boot up 10X the normal time, though the computer works, i just need to do if i turn off the computer...
    1.  From your description, you did not install Windows on the Maxtor, so how would you expect it to boot from this drive?
    2.  What boot menu?
    3.  This infers you booted from the Seagate, removing Maxtor from Device Manager does nothing to affect booting.
    4.  You must change the Boot Order in the BIOS (CMOS Setup).
    5.  What Windows version?

hkpowah

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 12:33:36 PM »
      1. sorry i mistyped, it tries to boot up the computer using the new slave HDD, which it should not do. even though i set it as slave already.
      2. there are three screens that i can access from the splash screen when the comp boot up. boot menu allow me choose that drive the computer should be booting from.
      3.ok
      4. i tried to find that screen but no luck even under BIOS setup, i went through everypage of the setup, maybe im just not looking at the right place? CMOS setup is only accessible from the splash screen correct?
      5. Windows XP Home Premium Service Pack 1 2007

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 04:45:28 PM »
      1. sorry i mistyped, it tries to boot up the computer using the new slave HDD, which it should not do. even though i set it as slave already.
      2. there are three screens that i can access from the splash screen when the comp boot up. boot menu allow me choose that drive the computer should be booting from.
      3.ok
      4. i tried to find that screen but no luck even under BIOS setup, i went through everypage of the setup, maybe im just not looking at the right place? CMOS setup is only accessible from the splash screen correct?
      5. Windows XP Home Premium Service Pack 1 2007
      1.  Master or Slave does not determine boot order.  BIOS configuration determines boot order.
      2.  Not sure what splash screen you are referring to BIOS or Windows.
      4.  It's there.  Find your HP Model Number at www.support.hp.com  Look for Manual to find Setup info.
      5.  SP1 & SP2 are no longer supported my Microsoft.