Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bios fails to boot any device.  (Read 14393 times)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Bios fails to boot any device.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 06:13:59 PM »
You may want to run MemTest...to rule out a bad stik of RAM...
POST won't complete, won't boot any device recognized.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 06:19:53 PM »
yup tried with 1 CPU installed and one stick of ram... stops @ the d2 error again, i havent gotten the 67 error in sometime now btw, i'm pretty much getting the d2 fairly constantly now.
...No point on moving on that option tonight as its Sunday and nothing will get processed until tomorrow anyhow.
67h error is Initialize Multi Processor APIC.  You removed 1 cpu.  Try swapping cpu's.  I'm out of ideas.

Zephyrous

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 06:22:10 PM »
    The bios does count up all the ram on when i clear the cmos, and says all 16 gigs of it pass.  i also double check the ram population sequencing on the board to make sure it conforms to the table listed inside my board manual.  i'ld be willing to run a ram test if i could do so before the post completion.

I'm thinking its the bios, I'm likely going to have to replace the chips, hopefully that will correct this mess, i ran out of ideas a long time ago, at least you provided something different to try.  I'll let you know how that goes once i get the in the mail.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 06:31:03 PM »
    ...I'm thinking its the bios, I'm likely going to have to replace the chips, hopefully that will correct this mess, i ran out of ideas a long time ago, at least you provided something different to try.  I'll let you know how that goes once i get the in the mail...
    Something in the chip failed and that's what killed the battery.  There's only 1 BIOS chip; it's just to the left of the battery and below the jumpers.  BiosMan provides the removal tool for additional cost.  You can use a small screwdriver instead.  I think new BIOS will correct your mess, it's worth $30 for such an expensive motherboard.

BTW, you might find the FAQ informative;  http://www.biosman.com/faq.html

Zephyrous

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 10:16:15 AM »
      It was the bios chip, a new chip installed and the system boots right up.  Talk about a strange error from testing a hard drive.  Thanks for the help.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 04:30:35 PM »
      It was the bios chip, a new chip installed and the system boots right up.  Talk about a strange error from testing a hard drive.  Thanks for the help.
      Don't think a BIOS would be damaged from testing a hard drive.  More likely some kind of power surge which could possibly have been caused by a defective hard drive.  Or maybe you attempted a hot swap of the hard drive?  Thanks for letting us know is was the BIOS chip.

charley

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 03:15:24 AM »
      I had had a very similar problem with the s4985. Wondering whether the problem ever got resolved?
      Thanks

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 05:27:20 AM »
      See 2 Posts up from here...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »
      I had had a very similar problem with the s4985. Wondering whether the problem ever got resolved?
      Thanks