Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Annoying IE8 Pop Up with each boot  (Read 6613 times)

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Annoying IE8 Pop Up with each boot
    « Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 03:17:13 PM »
    I will reboot right now and let you know what it says. I will take a pic of it.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 03:28:43 PM »
      I went ahead and booted and low and behold the pop up did not appear this time. All I did when viewing the autoruns 'view all' is to delete a few of the duplicate entries. I once had, a few months back, a great software that removed all duplicate files in my machine at my request. It kept machine nice and clean. I think it was Advanced care by IOBit then when it came time to renew they wanted me to pay rather than have it free. Is there another one free that you recommend?
      I saw way too many multiple entries/files in the autoruns.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
        Did you see my post that Task Manager shows 5 different iexplorer.exe processes? Should I uninstall IE and reinstall it? or should I start a new thread on here with this as the subject?
        Will more than 1 show if I have more than 1 tab in IE? This must be the answer to that. It never occured to me that that is why more than 1.

I saw your post on duplicate files but I do not have time to compare files. Just wondering. It was sure nice to have a program that did it for me.
        I now have 1 IE window and 1 Firefox open. Task Manager shoes 2 IE and 1 Firefox processes. Also there are 7 svchost.exe running.

Thank you so much for your kind help.
        « Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 03:54:38 PM by pattybrew »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 04:13:47 PM »
        IE8 opens a new process for every tab, I believe.

deleting duplicate files wouldn't help, since the registry is in two files- most of the data autoruns gets is in the registry. Deleting duplicate files would instantly hoop the machine, so the program probably didn't do that, it was probably just a cleaner program.

deleting duplicate files would hoop the machine because by default many windows files are stored in C:\windows\system32 as well as C:\windows\system32\dllcache. Deleting the files from dllcache won't make the computer unbootable, but it would be pretty dumb. Also, x64 systems double this up by making a syswow64 folder (that holds the 32-bit files) and the system32 folder holds the 64-bit files, there is a 64-bit shell32.dll as well as a 32-bit shell32.dll, for example.

So, you've got (on a x64 machine) C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll, C:\windows\system32\dllcache\shell32.dll, C:\windows\syswow64\shell32.dll, C:\windows\syswow64\dllcache\shell32.dll.

How would a "duplicate file remover" know which one to delete? It wouldn't. Also the IOBit duplicate file remover was terrible the fact that you managed to escape unscatched is nothing short of miraculous. the thing is practically a Rube Goldberg add-on for your computer.

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=2694

It does not see the same file with different extensions as a cloned/duplicate file
        But two .doc's with the same name but in different locations is seen as cloned/duplicate files - even if the content is quite different - at least as long as it KB-wise is the same size, - haven't tried with radically different sizes, but have tried with different number of characters in the files.

Which basically amounts to, if I have two huge dissertations as word documents that are nearly the same size, it will recognize them as "duplicates"! Wha? How does that make sense? What definition of "duplicate" did they base their program on?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Doc_Vibe

Rookie

• Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 05:12:36 PM »
        Yeah Patty, I just updated my Fire-Fox not long ago and now I'm running Fire-Fox v3.6.13.

Doc, you are a true designer and artist. My dad was an auto mechanic and I love the smell of an auto shop. Brings back old memories. I used to tinker with mine until they all went computer. Can't look under the hood anymore and see where everything is, it is so compact.grin

Thank you very much for the compliment Patty. Yeah, I've pulled down a few engines in the driveway in my day and rebuilt them in the same day. I love it. HUGS for the thoughts.

God Bless

Doc
        Let all things be done decently and in order - 1 Cor. 14:40

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 09:07:27 AM »
          Hmmm I thought it was gone bu it is back.
          Should I delete the IE Setup?

Doc_Vibe

Rookie

• Yes
          « Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 09:56:50 PM »
          Doc, you are a true designer and artist. My dad was an auto mechanic and I love the smell of an auto shop. Brings back old memories. I used to tinker with mine until they all went computer. Can't look under the hood anymore and see where everything is, it is so compact.grin

Thanks for the accolades Patty and yeah, I have torn down my share of engines in the driveway in my time and rebuilt them in the same day. Building a puter is not all that hard Patty. All you really have to do is buy everything in unopened packages and make sure you get all the manuals with everything. The mother board manual is the one you be reading the most. It only took me about an afternoon to build this puter some seven years ago. Just got it in my head one day to go buy everything and head home and have some fun. It was, and you will learn so much from it you won't believe. It's a great experience. I say go for it Patty. HUGS for the thoughts.

God Bless

Doc

Doc_Vibe

Rookie

• Yes
          « Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 09:59:43 PM »
          Oooooooooops - Forgot there was more than one page. My bad! - LOL !

Doc