Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Favorite programming language?  (Read 38544 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Favorite programming language?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »
He probably meant x86 because it is the most common.
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
He probably meant x86 because it is the most common.
I doubt it. There is little reason to program 8086 at the machine code level. Programming in machine code would mean compiling a program using pencil and paper and a reference manual. This is needed if you wee to build your own motherboard from scratch and you do not have a compiler for it. (In this context assemble and compile are used to mean the same thing. Don't argue about it, please.)

There are other CPUs that have been or are being used in various devices. Support for these devices is thin and fat. Little support with big price.  Some builders prefer to write the code by hand rather that buying expensive software tools. with license restrictions.

http://www.zilog.com/

Ironman

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
Python and Ruby on Rails!

Amacidia

Rookie
    « Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 11:18:06 PM »
    C# for me.

Currently learning Objective C.

papadugg

Starter

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 02:04:43 PM »
    Depends on what you want to do, of course.  Coming from the sciences, FORTRAN was probably the most useful at the time - you know - submitting punched cards to the guys with the white coats running the main frame.  Later, back in the days of teletypes and punched tape over long lines, BASIC was about the only thing we could use.  Have used a lot of languages since - Pascal, C, Python, etc (but never COBOL).  The language that taught me the most though was FORTH.  Nothing but that tiny shell (both a compiler and an operating system) between the programmer and the chip.  A friend used to liken Pascal programming to swimming in body armor ad FORTH programming to swimming naked in a pool full of sharks.  Nothing like RPN, and LIFO and FILO stacks that are part of the way the computer really works to help clear the mind.

Sorry, but I don’t know how to put the “yuk” smiley after COBOL.

skorpio07

Rookie
    • sniff sniff sniff
      • Fantasea Grafix
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
    Not to obscure the topic but the question is what is fav prog lang, not why

for that i would have to add LISP (or AutoLISP from Autodesk) as a great programming language that was full featured *but only running inside of AutoCAD

once you got your head around the atoms and ()'s, then all was good. wrote about 400 programs during the 10 year stint as an AutoCAD guru...

just MHO

maxum

Beginner

• Try and fail...
    « Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
    DOS BASIC
    C++
    shell script
    HTML
    BTW: You can't do a lot of things with BATCH.
    The most ingenious creature in the whole wide world... The computer!!!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    « Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 01:45:38 PM »
    HTML

Not a programming language though - merely a markup language.  ;)
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

maxum

Beginner

• Try and fail...
    « Reply #39 on: December 22, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »
    I agree with you, but it is development too, no?
    The most ingenious creature in the whole wide world... The computer!!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #40 on: December 22, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »
    I agree with you, but it is development too, no?

Topic title is favorite programming language.

Dairyman

Beginner

• Yes
    « Reply #41 on: December 22, 2011, 04:21:33 PM »
    Code: [Select]
    User.favoriteLanguage = "C#";
    But I'm currently learning C++.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 05:23:15 PM »
    LINQ :D
    from p in this.GetFavouriteLanguages() where p.StartsWith("C") select p orderby p;

heh, LINQ was confusing at first but I find myself using it everywhere:

public List<String> GetWorkOrderActiveWorkerNames(String OrderID)
    {
       //retrieves a list of names corresponding to the active (clocked-in) workers on this order
       return (from m in GetWorkOrderActiveWorkers(OrderID) select UserNameFromPIN(m)).ToList());

}

YUM. Tastes Enterprisey.

Or some of the LINQ I use in my Arkanoid clone thing. I really go overboard with it sometimes.

foreach(ZipEntry loopentry in (from x in readfile.Entries where x.FileName.StartsWith("Images",StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) select x))
    {...}

or the path editing of the editor... Actually I don't even remember why I have it sorting, this seems to be one of the places that I've not commented for whatever reason:

var foundpaths = (from n in SelectedPath.pathPoints where n.Selected orderby n.Location.X ascending select n);

Cheezey

Rookie

• Cheese.
      « Reply #43 on: December 23, 2011, 08:03:41 AM »
      PHP. It's also the language I'm probably most fluent in.
      Or Batch. (a lot of people will shoot me for saying that, but I like how it gets things done right away in just one command. Few other languages have a single three-letter function to delete a file.)
      Education is the only thing interfering with my learning.
         - Albert Einstein

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #44 on: December 23, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »
      PHP. It's also the language I'm probably most fluent in.
      Or Batch. (a lot of people will shoot me for saying that, but I like how it gets things done right away in just one command. Few other languages have a single three-letter function to delete a file.)

perl has unlink. Visual Basic has kill. BASIC has kill as well. BASH has rm. python has os.remove, C#/VB.NET has File.Delete().

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that a given language/shell happens to be have a shorter command to perform certain functions only serves to deepen the ambiguity. Bash has rm, but seriously, how is that self-indicating?  Sure, it stands for "remove" but it could just as easily stand for Raise Modifier, or "reset mysql" or something (and rm=remove.... remove what?) same with "kill" in VB6 is ambiguous, and hardly self-documenting, since you will have to look it up if you don't know what it does. File.Delete() requires absolutely no information to understand what it is doing.  Yes, it does the unthinkable and requires more typing- but it's more clear. The shorter you make keywords, functions, and parameter names, the more likely it is that what you are working with becomes write-only. Consider the premier write-only language- regular expressions, and how most of it's structures are a single character or bracketed set of characters, then come back and tell me how that serves an advantage to people trying to read it.

So Batch has del, which is really just a short form of erase (though I don't remember which was first). this makes sense, one can assume any non-associative command is probably to do with files. SQL has "DELETE" as well, but it is specific to it's own domain whereby it deals in database structures. new functions, classes, namespaces, and libraries need to be designed, not just thrown in randomly. Particularly in polymorphic languages, where you ought to be able to deal with any number of related structures in  similar ways. Or, you could have languages like PHP which start out without any long-term goal and as they develop new features are just tacked on with new functions using a naming scheme that seems to depend more in the chinese calendar than it does on trying to be self-documenting.

PHP is a fine language, for it's own purposes. Honestly I think a little piece of me dies inside when I am forced to deal with it. Not because it's a bad language, but because the standard constructs are just so awfully planned out. Quick- without looking it up- is the function isset() or is_set()? is it isnull(), or is_null()? Do you call sort() or array_sort()? etc. I stopped bothering to even try to remember half the functions outside the few more consistently named ones and just keep about 20 tabs open to PHP documentation, with a side of some alcoholic beverage to keep me sane, when I need to deal with PHP. One blessing it has is that you actually have to explicitly mark variables global, which is a good thing to keep from polluting the namespace. But when it's already filled with so many functions with inconsistent names, return values, and parameter lists I'm not really sure you could pollute it if you tried.