Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Pavillion Media Center PC memory errors  (Read 2756 times)

kcchrysalis

HP Pavillion Media Center PC memory errors
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:31:45 PM »
How long this has been going on I don't know because I use my laptop most of the time. I have Windows Vista and I was planning to upgrade to Windows 7 and found that the computer was shut off... in booting up it stuck at a black screen, but I could see the cursor and move it just fine.  I ran the system diagnostics and found no errors except in the memory tests.  I did it 4 times and got 4 different tests that failed.  My question is:  do I need to switch out the memory or could this be a bug/Trojan related issue?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: HP Pavillion Media Center PC memory errors
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:25:35 AM »
I ran the system diagnostics and found no errors except in the memory tests.  I did it 4 times and got 4 different tests that failed.  My question is:  do I need to switch out the memory or could this be a bug/Trojan related issue?
Any memory error is a serious matter.
You can make a bookable CD that has a memory test independent of the Windows system. Logically, a Trojan would not interfere with this kind of test.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/How-do-I-know-if-my-computer-has-a-memory-problem
The above link is for the general test inside of Vista.
To make a bookable memory test look here.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/memorytest.htm

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: HP Pavillion Media Center PC memory errors
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:45:29 AM »
Yes, if the memory failed the diagnostic it needs to be replaced.