Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PLEASE Help - Graphics may be dead  (Read 6259 times)

deargodpleasehelp

PLEASE Help - Graphics may be dead
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:10:05 AM »
Hi yall, I'm currently using my Mac machine here to right this, since it's the only trusty/whatever-valuable-and only usable Machine I have here to use to write on CH- My iPhone is kinda useless, after being plugged and unplugged- 'spite the fact it had a dead battery to begin with it's useless right now... Anyways moving on.

I decided I was going to try to add my VGA-Connector outlet to my PC (which I normally use to hook up to my Mac machine), and so it worked fine at first, well, not really. I had serious troubles, here's my story.

I didn't have it plugged all the way at first - what was that? Sorry, just heard Windows XP beeping it's hardware got disconnect, there's nothing even connected to it right now, the video is completely unusable and nothing besides sound, HDMI cord (unusable) and (Wireless USB adapter) is connected to the tower right now... o___o

Anyways, I was trying to connect it with Windows 7, I kept choosing VGA:Connect anyways...

It didn't do anything! I was switching it to the VGA cord: PC PC, (what its TV name was,) but it kept going to a black screen with the SAMSUNG Power light flashing... :-\

And so after switching back and fourth, trying all resolutions, and then feeling the cord, jamming it in more and finally realizing it had not even been in fully, I switched around sources, to no avail. I originally had my setup with an HDMI PC-HDTV Cord hooked up to my PC, for the Hi-Def Gaming (Don't ask me why, I just think it looks better, even though I get no audio through HDMI TV). So I had unplugged the VGA cable in frustration and threw it out of the PC tower. (I just pulled it out and it fell on it's side, I didn't yank it!) So then I once again switched back, and got a 'No input devices are connected' message.

After doing around it more and switching cords, unplugging,/replugging tv, etc.. all I got to change was now it just got dumber. Now it only says: "No Input devices are -". and it cuts off the end. **sigh**

I was thinking my onboard Intel Graphics VGA Connector may be shot, and at the beginning when I first started up my PC with the plug in it, the fans actually sped up more than normal during boot for about 15 seconds, I could actually see the LED's through the fan grates were more whirring, then they stopped and returned to normal, it sounded as if it was going through a seizure phase or something... Is my PC trying to tell me something???

This is a SAMSUNG 30" LCD TV, I currently have the 2 cords- Standard VGA and HDMI 'Rix' connector cable (Brought with my original '09 ATi GPU).

If anybody could help me that would be great thanks... My PC is completely unusable right now, even with VGA cord... (And Windows just dinged again.)

Appreciate it if anybody could help assist me with this issue, I have several projects I need to catch up on, including files I need to upload, I don't have firewire enabled... (I can't see it anyways, the BIOS has it disabled, and I can't see anything because the video doesn't work!!!) And I'm not sure what I could do with USB anyways, so if somebody could tell me what I can/should do, I would love to hear what you have to say.

Cheers! ;)

talontromper

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: PLEASE Help - Graphics may be dead
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:43:41 AM »
So.... originally it was hooked up via the HDMI connector which is on the new ATI graphics card, but you hooked up the TV instead with the VGA cable? Did you remove your ATI card for some reason? And if you have the GPU installed then why bother with the on-board VGA connector at all? Do I have your story straight?

And I agree i think that it looks better on the HDTV's I use my 37'' LG for Starcraft 2 on a desktop computer I have hooked up.
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:53:29 AM »
So.... originally it was hooked up via the HDMI connector which is on the new ATI graphics card, but you hooked up the TV instead with the VGA cable? Did you remove your ATI card for some reason? And if you have the GPU installed then why bother with the on-board VGA connector at all? Do I have your story straight?

And I agree i think that it looks better on the HDTV's I use my 37'' LG for Starcraft 2 on a desktop computer I have hooked up.

Let me rephrase that.

I have brought a new NVidia Series GTS 250  GPU since '10, and have used it perfectly fine with HDMI-to-VGA converter... (I call it a Master converter, don't ask me why, but it's Not VGA... It's something more powerfull, 1920 x 1200 on VGA? Doubt that!

I wanted to see how the VGA connector works on my PC's onboard tower VGA slot, it's right next to the Printer slot and all that junk, :P.
But I also wanted to see if the 'Intel Graphics Driver' thing or whatever finally worked, it goes along with this service: "igfxtray.exe" and "igfxsrvc.exe" which I knew, one time worked before when installing the new drivers for Windows 7, One time or so it actually worked! I couldn't believe it! But now if I ever try to launch any of these corresponding apps, they start, then go away. I DID assume this was for onboard graphics as Intel AFAIK does not make PCI-Based GPU's.

talontromper

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 07:01:12 AM »
Is your NVidia graphics card still in the tower? I had a similar experience with an older computer that is in my front room (I got curious and did the same thing). If I remember right I had to take out the old ATI 9800 pro to get it to send the video stream to the VGA connector.
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 07:08:38 AM »
Is your NVidia graphics card still in the tower? I had a similar experience with an older computer that is in my front room (I got curious and did the same thing). If I remember right I had to take out the old ATI 9800 pro to get it to send the video stream to the VGA connector.

Sorry...

What I was trying to do was hook BACK UP the HDMI connector to the LCD TV (Samsung) *looks at ID on side*... I can't tell exactly but it's a 30" LCD TV , HDMI, DVI, VGA, CRT, And S-video compatible. It's got everything! It's just seemingly not compatible!

Right now I'm stuck on Cable, All I'm seeing is the news channel, If I try to switch back to HDMI (or another source) It tells me:
"No Input devices are connected" When there really are input devices connected!!! What?!

I've checked all the cables, everything's fine, although, if I use my Mac machine (Macbook Pro) It works Perfectly fine with the VGA cable, Haven't tried the HDMI with my Mac as I do not have the converter. :( Darn Apples.

Anyways hope someone can greatly help me on this, I'd appreciate more information! :D
I'm also very tired right now, try not to give me complicated tasks :P

AND: Yes, the NVIDIA GTS 250 card is still in my PC, I haven't tampered with it nor anything inside it.

Also, Can anybody explain to me what the 2 dings from Windows XP were that I could not see? They were 15 minutes apart and hasn't made a sound since then... It was playing the hardware disconnected soung, but obviously, there's no conflicting hardware I see that would make that sound...anyways.

Thank you.

Edit: Come on surely someone can help me please? I know this seems so complicated but I have important projects to work on and I need help badly... I'm trying to stay awake for the day since I have important tasks that I need to finish before I go back to school...

Anybody?? There has to be somebody who's knowledged in connecting hardware...

talontromper

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:28:50 AM »
Well, here is what i got from the NVidia website. HDMI, VGA, LVDS, Single Link, DVI, DisplayPort, Dual Link DVI
It has all of those connectors, have to tried any others when you try to connect to the TV? Also, did you mess with the resolution settings before unplugging it? You may have the resolution set too low for the TV.

mroilfield

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 07:36:57 AM »
Have you tried hooking up a normal computer monitor to see if it si the computer or TV that is having problems
You can't fix Stupid!!!

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 07:40:45 AM »
Well, here is what i got from the NVidia website. HDMI, VGA, LVDS, Single Link, DVI, DisplayPort, Dual Link DVI
It has all of those connectors, have to tried any others when you try to connect to the TV? Also, did you mess with the resolution settings before unplugging it? You may have the resolution set too low for the TV.

The Native Resolution is just fine, it's just the VGA Output Res. I changed around with, the last setting it was on was 1280 x 800. That's only an CRT Screen Size, right? I don't think LCD's would use such peculiar Res's.... for Example, the 1280 x 960 reminded me of my friends old Sony CRT Monitor...

Once again not to confuse I don't think any other connectors will work for HDMI... I don't have anything else besides a HDMI cord, a VGA Cord, (It says on the card, indented: CRT... What's that supposed to mean? Is that just a CRT/(Still LCD-Compatible) VGA display connector?
Theres another connector (which I actually used to use more) right next to it saying: * ...Oh my God...* it was DVI...

Whoah, sorry for the confusion but I was running it before on DVI link, then now I was just using the HDMI, right?  So then I tried to connect through VGA and that's what caused the problems, so yeah, the DVI thing I used just before a Few days ago when I tried using HDMI again, man, either my TV hates me or I'm having really bad luck with HDMI routing. :( Plus, those cruddy cables are cheap as water-paper, they come clean off, even when you don't mean to knock off the cable, lol, no wonder I never used HDMI. :P

But anyways I'm going to try to get my DVI link adapter back, thanks for your help, but if anybody can help me keep my HDMI without having to switch back to DVI, I would MUCH APPRECIATE it!!! Thank you all SO much!!! :)

EDIT: @mroilfield: Excuse me? Sorry, I can't hook up HDMI to a PC monitor, it's what my PC seems to have been hard-programmed to do, since out of the VGA outlet No signal whatsoever came out from the VGA connector to the TV...

I'll try the VGA cable to a PC monitor, thanks for that info.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 07:46:37 AM »
Sorry, I can't hook up HDMI to a PC monitor

Funny, you've spent this whole thread babbling about how you want to use the VGA connector on your PC. a VGA connector doesn't go into an HDMI plug.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

talontromper

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 07:53:16 AM »
Well odds are he's using something like this. But back on topic, have you tried other HDMI cables? Also, have you tried one of the 2 or 3 HDMI jacks in the back of the TV?

If he really wanted to go VGA to HDMI

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Well odds are he's using something like this. But back on topic, have you tried other HDMI cables? Also, have you tried one of the 2 or 3 HDMI jacks in the back of the TV?

If he really wanted to go VGA to HDMI

I am very sure all of the ports work correctly, and tbh I really don't want to make more of a mess than this already is, let me just... Send this to Geeksquad or something, they'll figure it out. :p

mroilfield

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 08:12:42 AM »
Funny, you've spent this whole thread babbling about how you want to use the VGA connector on your PC. a VGA connector doesn't go into an HDMI plug.

Now he is throwing DVi into the equation.

Deargodpleasehelp,

I think you need to start over at the beginning and give us just the facts.

1. Exactly what kind of cable did you have hooked up last time it worked?

2. what kind of cable did you try to switch to?

3. what kind of cable are you now trying to get to work?
You can't fix Stupid!!!

talontromper

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 08:18:26 AM »
Also, what was the original connector you had it plugged into?

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 08:22:48 AM »
Now he is throwing DVi into the equation.

Deargodpleasehelp,

I think you need to start over at the beginning and give us just the facts.

1. Exactly what kind of cable did you have hooked up last time it worked?

2. what kind of cable did you try to switch to?

3. what kind of cable are you now trying to get to work?

1. DVI Link- Cable, AFAIK, I belive it was given back to us from my Old Cable box/Brighthouse network box after they repaired it, don't ask me why, they replaced the cord for the cable box (for HD Channels). weird.

2. I tried to use the VGA cord that I use as an external monitor on my TV for my PC tower, I tried hooking it up to the Onboard display port on the back of the tower... It was for when not using my PC and using my Mac, and I was able to switch between my PC and the Mac input just fine with the DVI adapter.

3. I am currently using HDMI (which I want my DVI cable back bad, looking for it), I am trying to get just one to work again- my HDMI cable...
It just seems so suddenly my TV turns stupid if I ever hook up VGA to it, or try to switch from HDMI to something else, afterwards the TV (Samsung) tries to claim it has "No detected Input Devices" When there clearly are! ahem.

It's one of these cables:

Oh, and @talontrompher: It was DVI Adapter to PC/TV Cord, worked perfectly fine until I tried HDMI. Now my TV is all messed up, it doesn't even recognize the VGA anymore without having the Mac hooked up, the PC simply CEASES to do anything now, I've tried the CRT Port on the Nvidia card, the Onboard port, nothing. It just flashes the power light and displays a blank display.
 :-\

talontromper

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 08:32:38 AM »
OK, so your trying to get the HDMI to work, as I asked before have you tried the other HDMI ports in the back of your TV? I would give that a shot.

mroilfield

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »
It was DVI Adapter to PC/TV Cord

What is a PC/TV Cord?

When we say "give us just the facts" we don't need to know you got your cable back from the cable company when they worked on your box. This is useless info and just helps to add to the confusion.

This is what I have gathered from my questions.

1. Exactly what kind of cable did you have hooked up last time it worked?  DVI
2. What kind of cable did you try to switch to?  VGA
3. What kind of cable are you now trying to get to work?   HDMI

Have you tried the DVI cable again?
You can't fix Stupid!!!

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 08:46:54 AM »
What is a PC/TV Cord?

When we say "give us just the facts" we don't need to know you got your cable back from the cable company when they worked on your box. This is useless info and just helps to add to the confusion.

This is what I have gathered from my questions.

1. Exactly what kind of cable did you have hooked up last time it worked?  DVI
2. What kind of cable did you try to switch to?  VGA
3. What kind of cable are you now trying to get to work?   HDMI

Have you tried the DVI cable again?

I am currently looking for it, though I'm not sure where I put it, my room is kinda messy :P

and sorry about the extra data, I just wanted to give the information incase anybody wanted to ask How and why.

Sorry!

talontromper

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 08:55:38 AM »
OK, well when you find it, give it a try and post back what the results are.

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 09:22:44 AM »
OK, well when you find it, give it a try and post back what the results are.

I didn't find it yet, but I will still have to be sure that it fully works though,
there is one thing I found to be interesting, in the 'Sources' list in the Samsung TV Menu, it shows the HDMI 1 source input to be PC, which is right under PC. So the VGA cable (which is accessible, even though not hooked up to anything now), is PC PC, and HDMI 1 (which is my PC's HDMI cable) Is not accessible, though it still shows up in the Menus list... What the heck?

I know this all seems confusing, but I hope it's useful in some way...

Hope this info proved usefull...

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »
Alright, got the DVI link cord, it was bundled upon some of some other cords around here...

I got it hooked up, If I switch to cable and then back, The PC input still shows up! (success!)

Although now that I see that VGA isn't really so good on my PC (considering I had it hooked up when unable to use HDMI or anything to see PC screen), it only had a Max resolution of 1360 x 768, my standard desktop resolution.

And for some weird reason, I've never seen anything like this before,
but if I switch out of the 1360 x 768 Resolution, the screen becomes blurry, fuzzy(suppose something to do with refresh rate, idk, these wavy lines zig-zagging in cm small sizes on screen) and for some unexplainable reason, dims the display darker...  ???
The only 2 resolutions I've found that don't mess anything up are: 1360 x 768 and 1280 x 800... This is an LCD TV, and 720p (1280 x 720) is it's Native Res. Though for some reason, it simply doesn't accept it, it just does the same thing I said it previously did if I changed the Resolution to other than the listed ones that work...

What's wrong?

Settings on TV: Display Mode: Standard. 'Game Mode': On. And the last setting I think to be concerned about is  Source is through an HDMI cable to DVI, if confusing enough.

Also as an advantage, this TV came SW/FW Upgradable, as it has a USB 2.0 Port on the back, and in the Menus it says it can be upgraded through USB, I haven't found anything similar or whatever for software updates, this isn't exactly my TV so I don't really know the Model...

So if you know anything let me know. Thank you.

mroilfield

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »
This is an LCD TV, and 720p (1280 x 720) is it's Native Res. Though for some reason, it simply doesn't accept it, it just does the same thing I said it previously did if I changed the Resolution to other than the listed ones that work...

Does your video card support that resolution?

this isn't exactly my TV so I don't really know the Model...

You can get close enough to the TV to hook up the cables but since it isn't exactly your TV you can't find the information label that should be on the back to find out what model of TV it is???

If you have gone thru enough settings in the TV to find out that it is SW/FW upgradable then surely you found the setting that gives you all teh info about the TV? Or at least found the label on the back that gives you info about the TV.
You can't fix Stupid!!!

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »
Does your video card support that resolution?

Yes, indeed it DOES support up to 1920 x 1080, it's Max/Reported Resolution by Samsung itself, so-to-speak.
My graphics processor actually supports 2560 x 2000 or something if I am correct, but this resolution DID work before, before I switched cables and all... etc/whatever...

If you have gone thru enough settings in the TV to find out that it is SW/FW upgradable then surely you found the setting that gives you all teh info about the TV? Or at least found the label on the back that gives you info about the TV.

On the side I've only found my Serial Number, (Which I'm not going to expose here...) and the TV's 'Model CODE', I think, but that's useless considering most TV's come with a Model ID/No; or at least some kind of proper identification. Though both of the information seems sort of exposing, thus I will not post them here.

Rear of the TV, Though,  provides nothing that I can see usefull either, just a bunch of Electrical Warnings... :p

/Off Topic, sorta-related: Through a vent hole on the top right, if I look through I see an image, more-ly a bright light, if put into an image, is grey-and white with some distorted colors, somehow resembles a Macintosh Classic... Don't ask me how, wonder if this is the backlight... Hmmm, well my TV likes to burn in Pictures on me, even if viewing from Cable-Input (Standard Cable TV)... It's weird, this TV isn't too old at all, this just started to get more really noticable in end of 2010, I recieved it in mid-2010, it was a used TV, (though brought originally New) Used for only a year or a half, I doubt it's still under warranty.

What I'm talking about is what appears to be called 'Image Persistance' when an image seems to burn-in or get 'stuck' in, and doesn't go away unless left on a white screen for a while. (My desktop is white, but the image still 'persists'!!)  ???

mroilfield

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 10:41:10 PM »
Ok so you some how think giving the serial number or model info of your TV is too exposing and you won't give them here. Do you think we are going to some how use this info to hack into your TV? Even if some one was able to hack into your TV what on the earth do you think they would be able to do then?

Well just saying it is a Samsung TV doesn't give us much info so we can possibly check into the TV itself to see if maybe it is the problem.

First you started off saying that it "Wasn't exactly your TV" then you turn around and say it was given to you. So is it your TV or not.

There are just too many inconsistencies and your un-willingness to give info that we can actually use is now causing me to step out of this.

Good luck

You can't fix Stupid!!!

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 06:37:22 AM »

There are just too many inconsistencies and your un-willingness to give info that we can actually use is now causing me to step out of this.

@mroilfield, That's starting to be the response of alot of members of this forum. I refer you to your own signature.  ;)
11 cheers for binary !

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 06:53:51 AM »
First you started off saying that it "Wasn't exactly your TV" then you turn around and say it was given to you. So is it your TV or not.

Good luck

Don't blame you one bit.

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »
See what I mean? Nobody wants to help me on this! This is bot-crap!

If you guys were really useful, (which you should make yourselves) you can go fetch me a new TV, cheerio. ;)

Fine, I'll provide some additional info to this...

Side Tag:

Version: PP01
Serial No. : AH6S3CPP300098B
Model Code: LNT3242HX/XAA

So have it, I was only not wanting to give this info out myself because I was thinking I could be tracked (I'm sorry I'm just paranoid!!! forgive me)

Alright I give up. Apparently my ... TV must be obsolete, I can't find it on the official SAMSUNG site, nor can I seem to find any relevant results either...
Aghhh!!!!

SWEARING REMOVED --

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 3:49:14 PM by Allan »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
If you guys were really useful, (which you should make yourselves)
I do, quite often, with members that aren't a pain in the rear.

deargodpleasehelp

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
I do, quite often, with members that aren't a pain in the rear.

Well then you know what?

That wasn't a very helpfull post, nor was it very fowarding of the situation to make this any easier...
::sigh::

/Request topic deletion

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 04:43:17 PM »
That wasn't a very helpfull post, nor was it very fowarding of the situation to make this any easier...
::sigh::
I'm quite aware of that. At this point I have no intent of helping you, so assuming that I will is rather foolish. I am under no obligation to do so; nor to make your "situation any easier".

P.S: IRC commands don't work in the forum.