Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer repeatedly uses '9' and 'F1' on its own.  (Read 4381 times)

Empty

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer repeatedly uses '9' and 'F1' on its own.
    « on: January 17, 2011, 04:30:29 AM »
    Hey'o !

/Cut out the introduction with name and such, hope no-one is offended. :c /

I've come across this problem with a computer in direct vicinity, basically the computer "spams" both the number '9 and the 'F1' button' on it's own accord. It hardly ever ceases, unless I start fiddling with keyboard.

The problem appeared today when I was browsing the web (email, facebook in two tabs) with google chrome. Suddenly a seemingly endless burst of new tabs opened leading to a chrome help page(F1). Not knowing much about computers I decided to reboot the computer to see if the problem would sorted out.
    Instead of rebooting completely, the computer would always go into the bios setup menu(bios setup is F1 on this computer) and it kept doing that even if I removed the keyboard from the computer.

Not sure what more there is to say; A computer is literally spamming the F1 "button" and number 9 "button" as fast as it can, without any input, as soon as the power goes on, bios/dos/safetymode/anywhere. Needless to say, it's hard to navigate and operate on such a computer and I'd appreciate some help in fixing this matter.

The computer is roughly 5 years old, but has been updated here and there over the years, it has worked problem-free until now.
    I've tried removing and inserting the ram memory.
    I've tried doing a system restore.
    I've tried restarting about 50 times.
    I've tried changing keyboards and just about everything else.
    I've tried to check for device problems.
    I've done extensive searches on google. (Though it's all but impossible to find the right combination of key-words for the search. . .)
    I've even asked the resident nerd for help.

I haven't tried formatting yet, if only because there may be important documents and more on the computer.
    Also; I don't quite understand the whole "When in doubt, format" philosophy that computer wizzes seem to be propagating.

Pretty sure I've left something out, I've tried to make it as informative as possible.
    Thanks in advance <3

reddevilggg

Expert

Re: Computer repeatedly uses '9' and 'F1' on its own.
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:25:54 AM »
    Also; I don't quite understand the whole "When in doubt, format" philosophy that computer wizzes seem to be propagating.

Dont know what 'wizzes' says that but it not on this forum.

Anyway, if i've read your post right it seems the keys '9' and 'F1' are sticking.

Solution - Buy another keyboard. They're not expensive.
    11 cheers for binary !

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:51:48 AM »
    I agree...
    On the whole and as a group that's probably the last thing we suggest someone do here.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Empty

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:05:28 AM »
      Hi!

I'm quite certain that it isn't keyboard related, I have tried starting the computer up with both the ps2 keyboard thing, and usb keyboard. Different brands and everything.

The keyboards doesn't even have to be plugged in for the computer to keep writing '9' and spamming 'F1'.

Two very helpful individuals on the livechat guided me through the process of swapping out the cmos(?), which helped for about 20~ minutes.
       But the problem quickly came back soon after, and the computer is yet against spamming '9' and 'F1' -without a keyboard plugged- @bootup/dos/safemode/anywhere

jgw321

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:31:18 AM »
      From your description my thoughts were:-

Most likely cause keyboard, try another.  You have done this and eliminated it.  - so -
      Next most likely is a virus.  I don't know of one that does this, but if you are infected it can get in at boot via the boot sector.  Try booting from a bootable CD if you have one.  If it goes away you have a virus, and a nasty one at that.  You'll need a bootable CD with AV to get rid of it I think.
      In theory you could go back to a restore point but if it is getting in a boot time this may not work.
      A restore to a previous disk image with something that can restore  from a stand alone boot would work if you have such a backup.
      If you only have your infected PC to work with you may need a friend to prepare a bootable recovery disk for you.
      Good luck, hope you get fixed before you tear all your hair out.

JG

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:43:42 AM »

Two very helpful individuals on the livechat guided me through the process of swapping out the cmos(?),
      Not so helpful, trust me.

Empty

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:05:17 AM »

Hi'o !

I'm in the process of running one of those boot-up anti virus thingamajigs,
        crossing my fingers for it to work.

Thank everyone of you,
        and sorry to have been such a bother both on live-chat and on the forums.

<3

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:08:47 AM »
        No bother at all - that's what we're here for.