Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microphone is permanently on  (Read 6380 times)

Suominatua

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Microphone is permanently on
    « on: January 17, 2011, 03:03:40 PM »
    I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but by looking at the situation it seems it most likely deals with Windows 7 and not the microphone, at least from my perspective.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Manufacturer: Toshiba.
    Model: Satellite A505.
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz 2.13 GHz.
    RAM: 4.00 GB
    System type: 64-bit Operating System

I recently got a Logitech Labtec Desktop Microphone 600.  My father tried to set it up for me, not realizing that it automatically overrode the original microphone, and I'm not sure if that caused the problem or if it existed beforehand, as I only noticed the issue after that incident.

My perception of the issue: The microphone is turned on permanently but it's the system, not the microphone.  When The logitech microphone is not plugged in, the internal microphone is on, giving a constant light static and makes noise when I blow at it within the screen or when I touch the screen.  When I plug in the logitech microphone the internal microphone stops making noise but the logitech microphone will make noise instead in the same manner, giving constant static and making noise when I touch it or blow on it.  It occurred with both speakers and with headphones (the speakers ceasing to make noise when the headphones were plugged in but then making the noise themselves)

My attempts to fix it: I have gone to the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Manage Audio Devices, and disabled everything possible under the Recording section, have tried resetting the computer afterwords, and rechecking that they were all still disabled, but the same symptoms of static and noise when blown on continued.  Strangely enough, if I disabled the speakers under the Playback section in the Manage Audio Devices, no music or mp3s would play but yet the problem would continue... This occurred with the speakers, or with the headphones.
    The speakers and headphones could be controlled with the headphones though, so if I muted them directly (not disabling them) then they would stop making noise, but of course no noise would then come out of my computer so that's not much help.

A friend said it sounds like a program is turning on on start up and turning on the microphone, but I'm not sure what that could be...  It doesn't seem like it's the microphone itself and could be something my dad messed up since he's not great with computers.

Thanks for any help offered, and while I could just reset the system (since I have the recovery media) that is pretty annoying so I'd rather avoid that if possible :/

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Microphone is permanently on
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »
    Unplug it...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Suominatua

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »
      Unplug it...

Then the issue persists with the INTERNAL microphone... which I cannot unplug or disable, as I said...

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:12:03 AM »
      The logitech microphone is not plugged in, the internal microphone is on, giving a constant light static and makes noise when I blow

2 Devices conflicting. Of course the internal device is capable and ready when you launch an application for any audio environment or plug in the added devices given they are recognized by the system or installed a software for the added device. If the machine is design to work only for the built-in and not work on any added devices then it is a standard  for that particular laptop.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:59:46 AM »
      What happens if you just mute the microphone in the audio settings until you need it?
      Evil is an exact science.

Suominatua

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:27:31 PM »

2 Devices conflicting. Of course the internal device is capable and ready when you launch an application for any audio environment or plug in the added devices given they are recognized by the system or installed a software for the added device. If the machine is design to work only for the built-in and not work on any added devices then it is a standard  for that particular laptop.

The laptop seems to work fine with the microphone, it's that they both have been switched on permanently.  The microphone itself takes over for the internal microphone, overriding it correctly, whenever it is plugged in, no software needed.  The issue is in the fact that they are always on now, even with no programs running to use them (or at least none I can tell).

What happens if you just mute the microphone in the audio settings until you need it?

Nothing, it continues being on.  I'll mute it, disable it, but it doesn't affect it.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:41:52 PM »
        Try changing Plug and play Startup Type under Windows Services(right-click and choose Properties) from Automatic to Manual then click apply. Reboot computer and check microphone static noise. If not, then go back and Disable PnP startup type, reboot and check again. If it did'nt make a difference, revert back the default settings to Automatic. Open also Device Manager to monitor hardware changes before plugging the Logitech Microphone.
        Logitech Labtec Desktop Microphone 600
        Have you check any manual/documents for any compatibility issue for the microphone going into the Laptop?

Suominatua

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
          Try changing Plug and play Startup Type under Windows Services(right-click and choose Properties) from Automatic to Manual then click apply. Reboot computer and check microphone static noise. If not, then go back and Disable PnP startup type, reboot and check again. If it did'nt make a difference, revert back the default settings to Automatic. Open also Device Manager to monitor hardware changes before plugging the Logitech Microphone. Have you check any manual/documents for any compatibility issue for the microphone going into the Laptop?

Lol... well I couldn't quite figure out how to do that but I ended up rolling back the driver on the "High Definition audio device" and it fixed the problem.  I tried re-updating the driver and the problem returned, so I put it back in it's rolled back state.

The microphone stated it shouldn't have any issues with compatibility.

That fixed the issues so should I set this problem as 'solved'? And thanks for pointing me in the right direction ^.^

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:24:12 PM »
          That fixed the issues so should I set this problem as 'solved'?
          If there are no more annoying noises, Yes. And thanks for informing us. :)

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 02:44:39 AM »
          That fixed the issues so should I set this problem as 'solved'? And thanks for pointing me in the right direction
          This is just a prime example of how the latest driver is not always the best driver.
          I am glad you got it sorted out.
          Evil is an exact science.