Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: old dell (win98) with baby pics won't boot and i don't have recovery disk...  (Read 8139 times)

Chuckster

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    my apologies in advance if i'm posting in wrong forum, just let me know, and i'll repost/delete (been a year or two since i used this website, and y'all were helpful then, so i'm grateful).  also, i'll try to be brief with the background info....

back in the day (oh, maybe a dozen or so years ago), bought the 1st family PC.  Dell Dimension 4100 running Windows ME.  Took care of it best i could (ad-aware, zonealarm, norton anti-virus, etc).  Served the family good for probably 5 or 6 years, before time started taking it's toll, and registry slowly became gummed up w/crap.  my preventive maintenance/repair skills were limited to basic, do-it-yourself type stuff; i was scared of messing w/registry, ini files, or reloading windows, etc., because i didn't want to 'blow it up' so to speak, and cause irreparable damage.

well, eventually got to point where it wouldn't start, and so enter next door neighbor, Eddie....

Eddie was a PC geek (also a meth head i later learned, but i digress...), but was a good soul, and offered to help.  I was grateful.  he fixed the startup problems, then i was able to get all important info/pics out of PC and put on disk.  At that point, at his suggestion, he wiped entire PC clean, and reloaded Windows.  Of course, help from a computer nerd meant that I needed to partition my drive (which it wasn't before), get rid of windows ME for a copy of Windows 98 (on one side of partition if memory serves me correctly), Windows XP Professional, i think (on other side of partition for the wife to logon), Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird (because no self proclaimed hacker geek would be caught dead using IE or Outlook, I suppose), and other changes.

I was grateful, because everything worked fine (and faster), and eventually learned to love some of the improvements (the Mozilla stuff fer sure).  Family PC worked fine for the next 3 or 4 years.  During which time Eddie went to prison for drugs.  So no more next door neighbor resource.

Ultimately, at the end of that time (around 2005 or 2006), one side of the partition started running out of space, and PC really started bogging down.  Until the one day it wouldn't boot properly at all.  Being that it was just getting old, and figuring the money i would spend on fixing it could probably be better used replacing it, i did just that, and put it in a box, knowing that i would ultimately need to fix it, in order to get the baby pics out of it.

Enter the wife....

well, 5 years later, wife is pissed.  she wants the baby and toddler pics NOW.  no more waiting.  So i fire up this pc that's been in a box for half a dozen years, and finally get it to come to life, and get it to partially boot, but it won't load windows.  it says config/sys32/etc. is missing or corrupt.  please input setup disk, and hit "r" option.  well, here's the punchline:
    I DON'T HAVE THE *censored* STARTUP DISKS, BECAUSE EDDIE NEVER GAVE ME A COPY OF THEM, AND I DIDN'T THINK TO ASK HIM AT THE TIME.
    best i can tell, is i have Windows 98.  i've tried getting it to go into safe mode, but was only able to get there once.  i've tried my original Dell WindowsME disks, but no luck.  Obviously, i can't just start over, because i need the info off of the hard drive, and although i can see the directories in DOS, i couldn't tell you for the life of me which pics were in which folders, etc.  *censored*, i'm not even sure which side of the partition they're on, so i don't even think reloading windows on one side of the partition or the other would work for me.

with all of that being said, i don't think the PC is in that bad of shape.  i've got a disk that i got from Eddie back in the day called "techie tools", in which I've been able to see some information about my machine, and basically, i think everything is there and functional, apart from windows starting up.

Can somebody offer me some advice?

Thanks for any/all help.

And I promise all future posts won't be nowhere near this long....

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Slave Drive Tutorial

For hooking the drive up to a working desktop to retrieve data...

The drive has to be in working condition but doesn't have to be able to load Windows...

Best of Luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Chuckster

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      thanks for the info....i'll try this as a last resort (afraid of goobering up my drive permanently) if i can't get my box to fire up and work any other way....

on a sidebar:  talk about COMPLETE FREAKS OR MIRACLES.....
      earlier today i got my hands on a win98SE disk UNOPENED in pristine condition, for my exact machine (a dell dimension 4100).  i was rummaging around desk drawers in an office upstairs near our servers, looking for an old floppy that i could overwrite and use to download & make a boot disk to try later today, when i stumbled upon the disk.  i wouldn't believe it if it didn't actually happen.  and to put this in context, it's not like we're a big company or corporation - we MAYBE have 10 pc's at work and a server.  so it's not like i was rummaging around that warehouse in indiana jones or anything like that.  anyways....

so i'm going to give that a try first....

again thanks for the help.....

but i do have another item i could use help on....i'll make a new post.....

jagwinn

Beginner

• Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        I grow tired of waiting...anticipation grows thin...did the disk work? Did you recover the baby pics? Did Eddie get parole?.....
        No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.