Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux FTP ... what is best option for secure FTP to upload and download files?  (Read 3519 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Thinking of building a Linux FTP Server to replace the Windows Home Server, since I only use the MS Windows Home Server for FTP when I am away from home, and have had issues with their service that is redirected through one of their redirection servers that then points and authenticates with your home server. Biggest problem is that if the home server is offline for a month or so, MS ditches the redirection path, and so you have to go through a reconfiguration madness.

So instead of using the MS Home Server and having to just about rebuild it once every couple months, it makes more sense to just connect directly using a secure Linux FTP option by IP:port than this service that MS has that has issues at times and issues if hardware is offline for too long. Makes no sense to have it idle just to maintain the MS Redirection Service. Waste of Electric!

About 7 years ago I used VSFTP for a college project, and had no problems with that other than just using a non standard FTP port that my ISP wasnt blocking for FTP communications such as 8080. Then used WinSCP to connect from my Windows Laptop to this FTP Server.

Recently I read about using a tunnel by which to communicate the FTP through as an extra line of security. Figured I'd run this by everyone to see what you all suggest for secure FTP'ing? What software and config etc?