Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Won't Start  (Read 7573 times)

Raptor

Re: Windows XP Won't Start
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 06:46:49 PM »
I tried the F8 and it didn't work.

Try performing a repair installation by using the articles linked to above.

You have not answered one of my questions, which may have been of great importance:

Have you downloaded files or programs and installed or used these before turning off the computer?  

XPHELP

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 06:55:32 PM »

Try performing a repair installation by using the articles linked to above.

You have not answered one of my questions, which may have been of great importance:

Mac

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 12:23:17 PM »
How is everything inside the case? Is there plenty of air-flow around the casing and are all fans running?

Are all cables in good condition including power cables and are any of them trapped?

Had one with a bookcase standing on the power cable which started doing this.

Pyre

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »
I was having the same problem for awhile.  It would take 30 min to an hour for it to finally start up successfully.  Now, on the countdown it will reach '0' and freeze, locking up everything.  I have tried choosing all the choices, but it always freezes.  My dad said it's a virus and that he'd have to reformat my computer, but I still have hope it's something less serious, and that I won't lose all my files.  This would be the second time I lose my entire life on my computer if he reformats me.  I have worked too hard to build it back up to a happy medium to let him ruin me once again, and I do hope someone can please answer us soon.

Also, to answer a question asked before with the original guy with the problem:  I, personally, have not recently downloaded anything.  To my knowledge I had added nothing new to my computer before restarting, but that's not to say someone else may have done so.  Also, I had antispyware run automatically every night at 2am, but I never got results off of it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 04:33:31 PM by Pyre »

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 05:18:15 PM »
Are you XPHelp or is this a new case? Please create a seperate topic if you are a new poster.

Pyre

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 05:42:23 PM »
I figured it pointless to create a new post if we were experiencing similiar problems, but if you wish.

Raptor

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005, 05:47:10 PM »
I figured it pointless to create a new post if we were experiencing similiar problems, but if you wish.

If you do not, people will become confused as two similar issues may be caused by two different problems.

merlin_2

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2005, 05:50:41 PM »
Home or pro version

Mac

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 04:11:55 AM »
I was having the same problem for awhile.  It would take 30 min to an hour for it to finally start up successfully.  Now, on the countdown it will reach '0' and freeze, locking up everything.  I have tried choosing all the choices, but it always freezes.  My dad said it's a virus and that he'd have to reformat my computer, but I still have hope it's something less serious, and that I won't lose all my files.  This would be the second time I lose my entire life on my computer if he reformats me.  I have worked too hard to build it back up to a happy medium to let him ruin me once again, and I do hope someone can please answer us soon.

Also, to answer a question asked before with the original guy with the problem:  I, personally, have not recently downloaded anything.  To my knowledge I had added nothing new to my computer before restarting, but that's not to say someone else may have done so.  Also, I had antispyware run automatically every night at 2am, but I never got results off of it.

How long does your countdown take? Is it the full 30 seconds? Do you hit <Enter> to get it to start the system?

As you can see this countdown do you have dual boot or do you have the Recovery Console installed on the Hard Drive?

Have you tried running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console?

Which Anti-Spyware program are you running and why do you leave your computer on overnight? As the FBI will tell you, the longer your computer is connected to the Internet the more damage can be done to it. I - NEVER -leave my computer running unattended unless performaing maintenance when it is disconnected from the internet.

Can YOU boot your computer into safe mode to perform any maintenance?

merlin_2

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 05:46:40 PM »
Game over..........tilt...........

Mac

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2005, 11:59:33 AM »

If you do not, people will become confused as two similar issues may be caused by two different problems.

Sounds like 'religion'.  Now if everyone chose Buddhism you wouldn't convert from one to another, would you Grasshopper?

Then they would all have the same operating system...

Mac

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2005, 12:01:58 PM »
Windows Grasshopper Version.

That could make a mess of the Bliss wallpaper.

No more grass Grasshopper.

Eaten by pestilence of sheep.

Ah So!

confused and bewildered

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2005, 12:18:05 PM »
this isnt about windows xp but i thought you could help i have windows 2000 when i start the computer a black screen comes up and tells me that i need to put a boot system disk in but i dont have one is there some way to get around having to use a boot disk
???

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2005, 04:14:33 PM »
"how can I go to the control panel if Windows won't start?"

My friend can't get his computer to start up at all. It lingers on the last stage of load up and windows xp never comes up. It simply says "npldr is missing, press any key to restart."

How can I help him out?