Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless stopped working after downloading Windows Update  (Read 9744 times)

Alba

Topic Starter

Rookie

Wireless stopped working after downloading Windows Update
    « on: February 03, 2011, 05:47:46 AM »
    I have Windows XP, Version 2002 and Service Pack 3 (SP3)

I was downloading SP3 updates manually and during this the Windows sw advised that it needed to prepare for the install so 30min later after data clean up, creating cabinets, storing a saving data the process was complete.

Upon restarting my PC I have been unable to use Wireless which was working perfectly up until then.

I can't view any Wireless networks. Though when I start up I do get the message that 'wireless networks' are in range though I can't view them.

I've tried re-installing my ISP SW from CD and it does pick up the networks in range included that of my router but during the instal I get the message: "Wizard could not create a wireless network'.

I have tried the REPAIR facility but this does not work and I get the message that the connection ' cannot be disabled' If I try this manually I'm advised that another program could be using the connection.

I'd be grateful for any advice on this.

Thanks so much

ALBA

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Wireless stopped working after downloading Windows Update
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »
    Service Pack 3 will allow for the use of WPA, perhaps you need to set it up on the routers end.
    Evil is an exact science.

Alba

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:29:34 AM »
      Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Please excuse me for asking but could you expand on what you mean by 'setting it up at the routers end'.

Thanks again Quantos

Alba

jcmack

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:33:52 AM »
        Did you try restarting router, modem (if separate device) by power failing and restarting by re applying power to those devices (and your p.c., laptop)? Does your network use DHCP?

Jim

Alba

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:31:30 AM »
          jcmark,
                      Thanks for taking the time to send me your thoughts. I have tried restarting the Laptop and the router all to no avail.

I'm in Scotland and have a basic router supplied by my ISP and so I'm not sure if I have DHCP

best wishes
          Alba

jcmack

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »
            Are you using a patch cable from your laptop to the router or are you using a different computer to access the internet?

Alba

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 02:28:23 AM »
              jcmark,
                         I'm using another laptop to access the internet using the same router which proves that all is well at the router end.

Thanks

Alba

jcmack

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 03:59:36 AM »
                O.K. Set both laptops next to one another, and turn them on. Find "Control Panel" icon and mouse clik on it on both laptops. After you have the Control Panel screen on both laptops, clik on the "Network Connections" icon (or however it's listed) on both laptops. You should see "Available Networks" heading on each laptop and an icon for your wireless network on each. RIGHT clik on each wireless icon on each laptop. Is any information displayed appear to be different between the two laptops? Be careful here, don't change anything, and make any notes for future reference. Then use the cancel button to close out of these screens and close control panel. Let me know what you saw. I know this is rather tedious but I don't know how to do it any other way. By the way, on the laptop that won't communicate is there a button like a function key on the keyboard or on the back of laptop that turns on wireless function?

Jim
                « Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:11:14 AM by jcmack »

Alba

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 03:22:21 AM »
                  Jim,
                        There is hw switch on the non wireless working PC (NWPC) and when I move this I get a message to say on or off so all is OK there.

When I right click the wireless icon within NW connections the drop down menus are the same though on the NWPC I can view Status as there is not connection. I also can't disable as I get the message that the Connection may be using a protocal that does not support PLUG&PLAY. In the Wireless working PC (WPC) I can disable the connection. The WPC is an IBM T42 and the NWPC is a Lenovo X61 and the have different wireless cards.

In the NWPC the Wireless Connection Properties has AEGIS Protocol and WLAN unchecked. These are checked in the WPC though this may be due to them being different wireless adaptors. I tried checking then in the NWPC but it made no difference.

Two unusual things.
                  When I power up the NWPC I get the message at the bottom right of screen where the wireless icon is that
                  there ARE Wireless Networks in range of my PC but when I click the icon it say there are no networks in range. Also when I tried to reload my ISP router sw it does pick up a sees the address of the router but as I go through this process I'm unable to connect. So these two points suggest that the PC does in same way see the Wireless Network but when I try to view them via NW Connections there is no evidence of them.

Thanks again for you help.

Peter

jcmack

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 04:07:13 AM »
                    Well...What I would do is go to the network settings on the non communicating laptop and delete that connection. You should be able to right clik the icon and delete it. Turn of the laptop and turn it back on. Does it find a new device, as in the wireless connection? If it asks re install the driver automatically you may have to do it manually instead. You should have an install disk that came with the laptop, or there is a folder on the harddrive with drivers specific to your laptops mainbord on board devices. If not you'll have to go to the mfgs. website and download the appropriate driver, using the working laptop. Then transfer that driver to the non working laptop  using a USB flashdrive.

Jim

Alba

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 02:32:01 AM »
                      Jim,
                            I'm afraid when I right click I'm not allowed to delete the icon. Even when I press the delete key it attempts to delete, asks me if I'm sure I want to delete the Wireless Connection, but then I get the message: "The connection you selected cannot be deleted"
                      Peter

Quantos

Guru
                      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 03:24:22 AM »
                      Jim,
                            I'm afraid when I right click I'm not allowed to delete the icon. Even when I press the delete key it attempts to delete, asks me if I'm sure I want to delete the Wireless Connection, but then I get the message: "The connection you selected cannot be deleted"
                      Peter
                      Will it let you disable the wireless NIC in either the Device Manager or the BIOS?

jcmack

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 04:03:44 AM »
                        Will it let you disable the wireless NIC in either the Device Manager or the BIOS?

If that doesn''t work. Shut off the hardware network switch and try again to delete. If that doesn't work cold boot the laptop and hold down the F5 key. Pick Safe mode without network. Try to delete from control panel

jcmack

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 11:04:36 AM »

Quantos: I'm a newbie here. I hope I'm not steppin on any toes.

JIM

Quantos

Guru
                          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »
                          Quantos: I'm a newbie here. I hope I'm not steppin on any toes.

JIM

Not at all, I just piped in with a suggestion.