Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless stopped working after downloading Windows Update  (Read 9745 times)

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Wireless stopped working after downloading Windows Update
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »
Have you tried to rip out and reinstall the software / drivers for the wireless card?  See where you stated you tried the ISP software.

If you do not have the disk for it go to the manufactures web site (for the computer) and input the systems’ serial number and download the software for the Wi-Fi card then install.

Is the NWCP showing the wireless active, disabled, is it listed under the device manager?

Can you browse the internet and or does it make a connection if connected via a cable.

You state that I can't view any Wireless networks. Though when I start up I do get the message that 'wireless networks' are in range though I can't view them.  How are you trying to view them?

Make sure you are using the program that runs your wireless card to view the wireless network list.
"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

jcmack

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »
    You obviously have expert help here. Over and out.

Jim

Alba

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 10:15:01 AM »
      Was able to disable using Device Manager, but still unable to delete the Wireless Icon.

Logged onto the Lenovo site and downloaded the latest version of the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG to a memory key. Tried to load this on the faulty PC to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\WLANINT and it seemed to instal. As this completed the program Intel PROSet/Wireless Software Tool Installation Wizard opened ...Preparing to install...This then failed with the message " The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. This is because of running in Safe Mode ( which I wasn't) or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.

Not sure what to tackle next

Thanks for your help

Alba

jcmack

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 10:38:19 AM »
        I'll wait and see what others recommend. Any attempts in the past to "fix" windows installer when I ran into issue were not successful. I have re installed XP in the past because of it. Hang on and see what recommendations you get.

Alba

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 09:23:42 AM »
          Rustys,
                      Thanks for your help.

I have been able uninstall the original Wireless driver and downloaded, from the manufacturer website, the latest driver.

When I try to load this onto the faulty PC  to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\WLANINT and it seemed to instal. As this completed the program Intel PROSet/Wireless Software Tool Installation Wizard opened ...Preparing to install...This then failed with the message " The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. This is because of running in Safe Mode ( which I wasn't) or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.

I have no appreciation as to what the issue is with the Windows Installer is.

So I'm now at the point where I have no Wireless Network Connection on the PC

Thanks
           Alba

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
            • Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »
          What is listed in Network Connections?

If the NIC is there lets try a cable and see if you can browse this way we can DL directly to the computer.

No offence you did DL the correct software for the system.
          Will it let you disable the wireless NIC in either the Device Manager or the BIOS?

Did you ever do this if so undo it.
          "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

Alba

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 12:58:20 AM »
            Rustys,
                        Finally got the Wireless working. As you suggested I connected through Ethernet and downloaded the latest level of the Wireless driver. As previously I still got the message that the Windows Installation Tool was faulty which prevented me fully loading the Wireless Driver. So I downloaded a new version of the Installation tool and that did the trick. I was then able to fully load the driver.

Thank you for all your help.

Thanks also to jcmack and Quantos

All the best from Bonnie Scotland