Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with secure sign in  (Read 3294 times)

Richard C

Problems with secure sign in
« on: August 15, 2005, 09:42:05 PM »
I'm having problems when trying to sign in to secure sites such as ofoto or my bank.  I get the standard "cannot find server" page.  I've run spysweeper and Mcafee both ok and germ free.  I've gone through the trouble shooting screen and have checked everything listed.  The problem exists in both the AOL browser and IE  I'm running explorer version 6.0.029.  One thing that is possibly related... I cannot run active X controls regardless of what security settings I use.  

Any thoughts??

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Problems with secure sign in
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 10:16:11 PM »
Well you need active X to run it. Also are you behind anything that messes up with your IP like security things? Firewall won't effect it im talking about privacy programs that messes with your IP if so then try disableing it then try it again. If that dont work then clear out your temps, cookies and restore default to all your web settings. It should work then

Re: Problems with secure sign in
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 12:40:52 PM »
Blocking port 443 outbound with a firewall will, I believe, stop secure sites loading. If you use a rule based firewall such as Kerio check to see if this is the problem.

ActiveX does not have anything to do with the problem.

Perhaps this will help:
www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/secure.htm