Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Magicdisc on Windows 7 Problem Solved  (Read 22452 times)

tlcummins

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Installing Magicdisc on Windows 7 Problem Solved
    « on: February 08, 2011, 07:04:51 AM »

Problem Solved.While attempting to install Magicdisc version 2.7 (build 106) on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit edition,the installer would appear to quit / hang / stop / fail.  This would occur after the installation had actuallybegun and while still on the installer screen which displays two progress bars.  The last filename still showingwas mcdbus.cat.  I assumed it was a problem with an unsigned driver.  After hours on google finding and applyingmany methods, techniques. and programs to turn off windows security for driver signature verification the problemstill existed.  OK, this post is getting way too long and would be 2 or 3 pages if I explain everything I did.Solution:  Since Magicdisc installer takes control of the whole display area and keeps the focus on itself, I wasunable to see that a Windows Security box pop-up was being displayed on the Windows Desktop.  Windows was askingfor permission to allow or deny installation of the unsigned driver.  The installation could not continue untilthe Windows Security box pop-up received a response from the user.  Since the pop-up was hidden behind the installerscreen, I had no idea it was there and waiting for a response from me.Now here's the trick.  You have to be quick and it's all a matter of timing.  Start the Magicdisc installer and proceedas normal until you reach the installer screen that says "Click the Next button to begin the installation blah blah blah".Now DO NOT click the next button.  Now pressing enter at this point would have the same effect as clicking on the nextbutton and the installation would begin.  This is what we want.  Now, hover your mouse cursor over the "Show Desktop Icon"on the quick launch bar.  If you don't have one just pin a "Show Desktop Icon" to the task bar.  This is where the timingcomes in.  You are going to place one finger on the enter key and one finger (Opposite Hand) on the mouse button with themouse cursor still hovering over Show Desktop Icon.  Now you will press the enter key (which will start the actualinstallation process of Magicdisc), followed by, just as quickly possible, clicking the Show Desktop Icon.The idea is to get the Magicdisc installation process started, but then before the installation process reaches the pointthat it triggers the Windows Security pop-up, you have already clicked Show Desktop which will hide the screen showingthe installation process.  This way when the pop-up appears on the Desktop, you will be able to respond to the pop-upgiving Windows permission for the unsigned driver to be installed.  After allowing permission for the driver to beinstalled, don't get in a hurry.  Allow time for things to happen.  On my system it took about 30 seconds before theMagicdisc Installer displayed the finished dialogue box.  I haven't yet rebooted to test the installation but it appearedto finish sucessfully.  Good Luck.   

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Installing Magicdisc on Windows 7 Problem Solved
    « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:03:53 PM »
    Or you could just minimise the install window before proceeding...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "