Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB to serial cable won't work, any suggestions?  (Read 8360 times)

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
USB to serial cable won't work, any suggestions?
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:51:07 PM »
I have this USB to serial cable, and I simply can't get it to work on my vista pc. Seems like such an easy plug, play, install and run device. Anyway.... I installed the latest drivers off their website, then plugged in the usb to serial cable to my pc. Drivers seemed to install without any problem. But then the IDE program I use wouldn't communicate with it properly. I borrowed a (different brand) usb-serial cable from a friend, it installed within 2 minutes and was working without any issues and connection worked just fine

So I then uninstall the drivers for my pc, and then unplug the original cable (the one I own) then after replugging in and rebooting, reinstallation occurred as expected and I am soon presented with the following screenshot:

Device Manager tell me this:

and next to the appropriate icon in the device manager list, yellow exclamation mark error symbol appear.

Does anybody know what is wrong? Seems like INF file is broken, but I got no clue  ???

NOTE: I tried the prolific drivers software off disc that came with cable, then found that their official website had newer version so tried that. I ended up as described above. Also, the associated inf file(s) are attached in case anybody can figure out why this cable not working (had to save content as txt files, as CH apparently hates inf filetypes)

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: USB to serial cable won't work, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:22:35 PM »
Did you install the correct driver for 32 bit if 32 bit os or 64 bit if your system is 64bit? Most drivers will complain during install if incorrect. Also did you get a warning stating that the driver is not signed or did it install clean originally without any complaints?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »
    Given that you just bought the item have you tried to talk to the manufacturer's tech support? This may be a known issue to them. Given that another brand of the same cable does work it sure sounds like a compatibility issue with something on your computer. truenorth

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »
    Already got my money refunded by the seller, whom I bought the cable. I decided to use the other cable that I borrowed from my friend and tested to be working. MY friend tested the cable that wasn't working on my pc with his pc and he says it works fine for him. So basically, now I have swapped cables and both pc's are happy.

Still wondering why it isn't an easy install when it should be, but anyway all is fine now.  :)