Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Pavillion DV5000 Screen Darkens on AC Power  (Read 2869 times)

JonnyAlpha

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    HP Pavillion DV5000 Screen Darkens on AC Power
    « on: January 23, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
    Hi;

I am working on a laptop problem, its an HP Pavillion DV5000 (DV5244eu)

After much investigation the problem is that with the battery in and no AC power the screen works but when you plug the AC power cord in after a short while the screen starts to darken from the left to the right, slowly at first and then black!!! Unplug the power cord and the screen comes back on!!!

After trawling for a fix I found a fix ref pressing the power button for 60 secs with no battery or AC power, this did not work. Some more investigation revealed that this could be the screen inverter? but after reading further it could also be the magnetic lid closed switch.

I have gone into control panel power options and set to never switch off monitor on battery or AC power but no joy.

Any ideas.

Salmon Trout

Re: HP Pavillion DV5000 Screen Darkens on AC Power
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 01:24:37 AM »
    There should be function keys on your laptop to adjust the brightness (On many HPs, Function F3 and Function F4 are darken/brighten, but check your user guide to make sure you use the right ones). What happens (in each power mode) when you press these? Also you could check your BIOS settings for AC and battery screen brightness.

JonnyAlpha

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:16:02 AM »
      After much investigation the problem was down to a knackered screen inverter that powers the backlight. Cost £10.45 incl postage and now all is OK.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:24:42 AM »
      Thanks for the update and glad you got it sorted out.