Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 install.  (Read 4602 times)

pete24574

Windows 98 install.
« on: August 16, 2005, 01:36:27 PM »
Hi,

I hope someone can help me please.  I have an old PC (PII 366mhz 5 gb harddrive).  It hasn't been used for about 3 years as I replaced it and gave it to my parents who have now decided to join the technological age......

I thought I had reformatted the hard drive and reloaded windows 98 to it before it got put in a box in a corner.  When I tried to start it up I got disk errors.  I looked around the site and thought it may be the CMOS battery and this has been replaced however I am now getting "verifying DMI pool data" and it then freezes.  I have checked the page on here but nothing works.

I have tried to reinstall windows 98 with the cd that came with the PC but it doesn't appear to read the CD when I start the PC.  I know the disk drive works as the light at the front is on, however it doesn't appear to be reading the CD.

Is it possibly just a problem with the disk drive and how do I confirm this.  I have tried installing windows with the hard drive connected to my newer computer and it doesn't seem to load on that either.

Any help would be grately appreciated.

merlin_2

Re: Windows 98 install.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 03:29:02 PM »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 06:51:45 PM »
Pete:

If M_2's advice doesn't do the trick, Microsoft recommends you contact the manufacturer of your personal computer:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287553

Hope it works out for 'ya,
Doc

pete24574

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 02:45:55 AM »
Thanks, I had tried everything mentioned in CH000474 and still couldn't get it to work.  I'll contact the manufacturer.

Is there any way to wipe my hard drive when I can't open windows up in dos mode?  I can just reformat my drive and try and reinstall windows again.

I have tried a couple of free downloads but these don't seem to work.

Does anyone know a good program I can get that will clear my harddrive?

Thanks

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 08:24:11 AM »
Is there any way to wipe my hard drive when I can't open windows up in dos mode?  I can just reformat my drive and try and reinstall windows again.

Use a Bootdisk

The Hard Disk Drive may have failed

thought it may be the CMOS battery and this has been replaced however I am now getting "verifying DMI pool data" and it then freezes.

Try obtaining a diagnostic diskette, which works in the same way as a boot diskette and can write zeroes to the Hard Disk Drive.