Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezing at log off, \Device\Ide\iaStor0 (and other issues)  (Read 3038 times)

jennz

Hey everyone

I’m currently having issues with my laptop and really hope someone out there may have some insight into how to fix the problem!

The main issue is that my laptop freezes when it is logging off, so that it goes from the shut down screen to a logging off screen but will not move from this screen unless I manually turn the power off. Other times (possibly when I have had the computer on for a shorter period) the logging off function works normally. I’ve done a google search online and it appears that the problem is quite common, but there's no suggestions about what is likely to be useful for my system

Computer descrption
  • I have a dell inspirion 1545 (just over 1 year old)
    Pentium Dual Core CPU, 4GB Ram
    193 GB of 283 GB of hard drive memory is unused
    Running Windows 7Hone Premium
    I've run virus scans with McAfee and they've come up clean

Additional problems (unsure if these are related to the freezing log off problem or not)
  • The computer is also freezing  in internet explorer and microsoft computer  every day or so
    My computer often displays a “dde error” message when I open adobe pdf file
     In the last two days it has also stopped reading any portable memory devices I am trying to use
     when I try to open some of my music files I get  a “system call failed” error message
     when I move files in the folders on my desktop these are not immediately  displayed on the screen. Changes only appear when I hit the refresh button.

I would be sooo grateful suggestions for addressing any of the above, the whole thing has become a bit overwhelming!

Thanks in advance  :)

Jen

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Computer freezing at log off, \Device\Ide\iaStor0 (and other issues)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:34:21 AM »
I’ve done a google search online and it appears that the problem is quite common, but there's no suggestions about what is likely to be useful for my system
Yes.
So does my laptop.