Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How Much Computer Do I Need?  (Read 2748 times)

program not responding

Topic Starter

Beginner

How Much Computer Do I Need?
    « on: March 06, 2011, 10:37:12 AM »
    Dear Forum,
    I typically run a stock trading platform with, maybe 10 charts active, a CAD program, maybe another stock platform, and maybe 10 web browsers open at once. How much computer do I need? Mine starts slowing and things freezing up with this running. It is a
    Q8200 Quad @ 2.3GHz with 4GB of DDR2 RAM. Just one monitor.
    Should I be having this trouble with this machine?
    If so, how much computer do I need? Would something like this fit the bill?
    Newegg.com - CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2071 Phenom II X6 1090T(3.2GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 5770 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    Thanks a lot!
    Mike

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How Much Computer Do I Need?
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »
    Dear Forum,
    I typically run a stock trading platform with, maybe 10 charts active, a CAD program, maybe another stock platform, and maybe 10 web browsers open at once.  ... Just one monitor.
    You have 10 browsers?  :o  Do you mean you may have 10 web pages open at once?  Surely, you don't have 10 different web browsers installed, do you? 

How much RAM will your computer support?  If you can add RAM, that might be a low cost solution.  And, what video card do you have?  That might be another upgrade that could improve your current system.

BTW, I can't imagine running all those apps with one monitor unless it's a very large monitor, large enough to view multiple app windows at the same time.  I'm sure I'd want dual monitors if I were doing what you do with your computer.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »
    Don't give him any ideas Soybean...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

program not responding

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:57:04 AM »
      Thanks Soybean!
      I only look at one application at a time, but switch back and forth quite a bit.
      Only one browser; multiple pages.
      The mother board is an Asus P5QL. I found a note saying that it may not recognize more than 3Gb of memory. It has 2 2Gb's in it, and system properties shows 3.25Gb. Does this mean that it will not recognize if I put more in?
      The video card is an Asus 8400gs 512mb
      Thanks for your help!
      Sincerely,
      Mike