Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet stopped working: Please advise how to diagnose problem!  (Read 2186 times)

MrPipps

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have been using this cable broadband connection at this address on an XP machine for several years with no problems.

Today it has suddenly stopped working. When I boot in a Ubuntu 10 Live CD the connection problem remains. However, my laptop connected to the same modem router is fine.

How should I go about diagnosing the nature of the problem on this XP machine? I would be grateful for any help. Thank you.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Internet stopped working: Please advise how to diagnose problem!
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
    If you have a spare cat5 cable around ...swap the network cable and see what happens. Also try a different router port if you have a port available. If you have a spare NIC not used, you can even install a different network adapter in a spare PCI slot and try to re-establish connection through a new NIC as a last measure.

If the laptop is connecting via Cat5 cable, plug the computer into the cable used for the laptop and this way you can isolate it back to the system vs cable, router, etc.