Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox 4 Released  (Read 9686 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Firefox 4 Released
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:30:44 AM »
Version 4 of Firefox is a major upgrade for the open-source browser, and includes a wealth of new features and enhancements.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=3264385

Obtain the release candidate here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/RC/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:37:35 AM by Allan »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Firefox 4 Released
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:40:02 AM »
Well, to be perfectly clear here, the release is still a Release Candidate (RC); it's not the final release.  But, they seem to have it developed to the point where the Release Candidate may remain unchanged and become the final release.

What happens for users of the RC version when the final production version 4 is released?  Will they need to reinstall Firefox or can the RC be updated so that it will show the version as a regular version in Help | About Mozilla Firefox?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »
Well, to be perfectly clear here, the release is still a Release Candidate (RC); it's not the final release.  But, they seem to have it developed to the point where the Release Candidate may remain unchanged and become the final release.

What happens for users of the RC version when the final production version 4 is released?  Will they need to reinstall Firefox or can the RC be updated so that it will show the version as a regular version in Help | About Mozilla Firefox?

The "release candidate" versions almost never are the same as the version that becomes the release. For example, Windows 2000 Release Candidate still contains several bugs that were fixed in the RTM; same no doubt with many other software applications. Release Candidate is more the end game of beta; only "easy" fixes will be incorporated; they won't be rewriting the entire javascript interpreter, for example.

With that in mind, the FF4 release candidate would update normally. Much like the FF2 RC and the FF3 and 3.5 RCs before them.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:39:34 AM »
Sorry, the subject should have included RC - my error.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:13:07 AM »
The "release candidate" versions almost never are the same as the version that becomes the release.
Yes, I'm aware of that.  I made the comment in my previous post based on the article Allan posted.  It says:

"This release candidate represents what the development team feels is a finished browser, said Johnathan Nightingale, director of Firefox development, in an interview.

The quality assurance team will still take feedback from users over the next few weeks, but if no major bugs are found, Mozilla expects to issue the full production release of the browser by the end of the month, he said."

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »
Yes, I'm aware of that.  I made the comment in my previous post based on the article Allan posted.  It says:

"This release candidate represents what the development team feels is a finished browser, said Johnathan Nightingale, director of Firefox development, in an interview.

The quality assurance team will still take feedback from users over the next few weeks, but if no major bugs are found, Mozilla expects to issue the full production release of the browser by the end of the month, he said."

Not sure what you are saying.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 09:46:44 AM »
You said, "The "release candidate" versions almost never are the same as the version that becomes the release."  I was pointing out that, based on the article, the latest "release candidate" version in this case may become the final production release with no further changes to it. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 09:58:39 AM »
the latest "release candidate" version in this case may become the final production release with no further changes to it.

The trunk source has already changed since the RC was released with small fixes. the article merely states that they feel it's very close to completion. It doesn't say anything about the finished build possibly being the same as the current RC release, in fact, it says rather the opposite in the last sentence.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 10:08:27 AM »
It doesn't say anything about the finished build possibly being the same as the current RC release ...
It seems to be implied.  Again:
"This release candidate represents what the development team feels is a finished browser, said Johnathan Nightingale, director of Firefox development, in an interview."

.. in fact, it says rather the opposite in the last sentence.
Not sure which sentence you're talking about.  Can you quote it?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:20:40 AM »
It seems to be implied.  Again:
"This release candidate represents what the development team feels is a finished browser, said Johnathan Nightingale, director of Firefox development, in an interview."
[/quote]
[/quote]
How a team feels about something is irrelevant. This is particularly true since Firefox is open source and the "development team" consists of thousands of people. they couldn't have possibly asked every single one of them. Doubtless they have their own internal developers but they hardly represent the bulk of the effort that went into FF. Either way, I'll reiterate: the source has CHANGED since the RC was released. it wasn't frozen. Any future build- including the eventual final version- will NOT be the same. And they won't release the current version as a "finished" version because then it would be out-dated compared to the current builds of the time.

Not sure which sentence you're talking about.  Can you quote it?

Mozilla expects to issue the full production release of the browser by the end of the month, he said.
They didn't say "Mozilla expects to issue this as the full production release of the browser by the end of the month". In fact, by not saying anything about the RC in relation to the final build they confirm what anybody can find out for themselves, the released version will be different from the current RC. And that isn't even taking into account the possibility of future RCs. How "finished" the development team feels a product is is about the most irrelevant factor in deciding wether a product goes RTM that it's laughable it was even quoted.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 10:58:51 AM »
How "finished" the development team feels a product is is about the most irrelevant factor in deciding wether a product goes RTM that it's laughable it was even quoted.
Well then, since you seem to think you know what is relevant, can you tell us what is relevant?   Is there a special decision-making group, separate from the development team, that makes the final decision on when a product is ready and when to release it?

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
I have a few questions about firefox 4:

From the screenshots i've seen, it looks like they are trying to copy chrome. Does this mean there won't be themes?

Will there be add-ons? Will the old ones work?
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

soybean

Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 11:08:01 AM »
Does this mean there won't be themes?

Yes, Firefox is moving the tabs to the top, like Chrome but, otherwise, it will still have its unique features and I'm sure it will continue to have many add-on options. 

moro

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »
Firefox is moving the tabs to the top, like Chrome
You can move the tabs to the Bottom :   view -- toolbar ---uncheck taps on top
New releases. Scan add-on Automatically , Eliminate non-compliant. And maintain a compliant

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »
Well then, since you seem to think you know what is relevant, can you tell us what is relevant? 

The fact  that the code- which will, and has been used to compile the nightly builds -(which can be freely downloaded and checked in this matter via CVS) has changed since the "implied" "final" build. So unless the final version is actually a regression from whatever is in the stable source tree at the time it's not going to be the same.

My comment:

How "finished" the development team feels a product is is about the most irrelevant factor in deciding wether a product goes RTM that it's laughable it was even quoted.

First, I should point out I was using "RTM" rather loosely. It's an open source project that has stable builds being compiled daily. Any one of those can be considered "released to manufacturing" since for Open Source "released to manufacturing" means "available on the internet" Now, a better definition in this case would be that it is linked to by the main firefox site and perhaps even has updated debian and RPM repositories (or at least, updates to said repositories pending).

The reason it's relevant is that feelings about products or code or software are redundant; even what said developers think about a product don't matter. Why?

Because when you work on a project long enough, you get immersed in a reality distortion field. Now to be fair in the case of firefox some unsuspecting users have gotten swept up in that same field of distortion. Basically, it makes the product seem better then it really is. This wouldn't be so bad, except that the fictitious glorification of the software in their eyes can get to a point where it blots out any bugs; they will reason "well, we don't really need to fix bug X, because how can anybody have a problem when we have badass killer features like A,B, and C?"

That's another thing- the quote was entirely misattributed. What happens in software development is determined more or less by the various testers of the product; wether they be in-house employees hired for that purpose or a public beta. That is exactly what happened with FF4; they released it as a beta. Testers tested it- found problems, bugs were actually triaged (I'm LOOKING AT YOU GOOGLE CHROME. I'm going to STOP submitting bug reports if your developers are going to close the bugs and tagging them with "will not fix" which wouldn't be so bad if the bug wasn't about your incorrect implementation of a standard DOM feature; and not even something basic either, I mean, this was something IE6 did correctly that google chrome doesn't. And my report wasn't "DUH DIS HERE PAGE NO WORKEE YOU FIX NAOW!" It included quite a lot of what I felt was helpful information, such as DOM layout before and after from the DOM inspector.... But that is all rather tangential) anyway, testers tested the beta's of FF4, submitted bugs, those bugs were fixed, sorted, regression tested, etc, and slowly the number of bug reports dwindled and the number of showstoppers dramatically slowed down (arguably this could also be a result of people simply losing interest in the beta, but at least it couldn't be because their bug reports were being downright ignored). It was then that the development team (which again, is only a relatively small fraction of all FF developers/contributors) "felt" that it was ready for release. The decision was made by the testers, not by the development team, and they don't "feel" that way insomuch as they can sense that the testers felt that way.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 05:10:35 PM »
IE9 is going to RTM status on march 14th. It has been confirmed. Does this mean anything?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »
IE9 is going to RTM status on march 14th. It has been confirmed. Does this mean anything?

How do you mean?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »
You should probably be expecting to see it appear in Windows Updates the next time your system gets updates.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 06:52:08 AM »
Just a few short days after delivering the first Release Candidate build of Firefox 4, Mozilla's senior director of engineering Damon Sicore has confirmed that the final build of the browser will be ready to launch before the month is out.

The browser's public release has been pencilled in for a March 22nd launch.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=3265554

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
Just a few short days after delivering the first Release Candidate build of Firefox 4, Mozilla's senior director of engineering Damon Sicore has confirmed that the final build of the browser will be ready to launch before the month is out.

The browser's public release has been pencilled in for a March 22nd launch.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=3265554

I guess IE9's release and Chrome's steady release of stable updates are getting Mozilla a little itchy to get on the boat too.  :P