Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Having some issues..  (Read 2120 times)

tonnage

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Having some issues..
    « on: March 20, 2011, 09:33:27 PM »
    Hello, having some minor problems with this other computer of ours, well major problems. So about a year ago our Dell studio xps 435mt got struck by lightning and it went through the phone line, our house insurance wanted us to take it to some dinky computer tech place to just get it diagnosed, and they ended up putting a powersupply in it well they didn't hook it up just put it in there... So my father hooked it up and it and it was just turning on the tower and the monitor would kinda get a grey tint then go back to black and repeat before settling on black, and the router's ethernet light would stay off. So I rehooked our older dell(the one I'm on now) and the monitor is working good and the ethernet light on the router came on(obviously if im online) so we took the studio xps to geek squad at our local Bestbuy, and one of the "agents" helped us and said that we hooked up the powersupply properly and that they'd do some diagnosing, well when he hooked it up to their monitor it did the same thing, so he said it'd be a couple days and it'd cost 60 dollars to diagnose. Well we get a call saying it's done and it checked out alright and they did a 5hr heat test etc etc. We get it back bring it home and it does the same thing. Tower light is white and is running but monitor is doing the same thing and the router is saying no ethernet. So we take it back to geek squad, and they run some tests again and install a new driver so they said and everything checked out alright. Well bring it home and its doing the same thing! So I was wondering if anyone here could help me in this situation and any opinions would definitely be welcomed. We're taking it back up there in a couple days, and if they say its ok again I was going to see if they would come hook it up for free so they can see that it's not okay!

Thank you for reading this and thank you for your input and thoughts.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Having some issues..
    « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »
    When you went to pick it up the second time, did they plug it up and show you that it was working and connecting to the internet?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

tonnage

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Having some issues..
      « Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:05:26 PM »
      Nopers. He said he updated the driver and that its working now, and that it's all good to go. I figured he'd needed to be on the internet to get the driver but maybe I was wrong, or maybe they didn't even update the driver. Pretty sure next time I'll demand that. Thank you