Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer 9 RTM released  (Read 15191 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Internet Explorer 9 RTM released
« on: March 15, 2011, 05:36:49 AM »
Internet Explorer 9 RTM released.

Availability of Windows Internet Explorer 9:
  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982861

Download Internet Explorer 9 RTM:
  http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/
  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie/home

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Internet Explorer 9 RTM released
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »
Apparently, IE9 will not be available for Windows XP.  Windows XP is not among the OS listed at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982861

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:11:34 AM »
Correct

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:15:35 AM »
Apparently, IE9 will not be available for Windows XP.  Windows XP is not among the OS listed at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982861

That's not really that surprising. IE6 didn't run on Windows 3.1 (IE6, August 27th 2001: Windows 3.1 was about 10 years old at the time).

Windows XP is not about the same age as Windows 3.1 was when IE6 was released.

On IE9, Here's a link that landed in my inbox:
http://www.geekwire.com/2011/geeks-guide-to-ie9
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:28:11 PM »
IE9 has made significant improvements. The speed boost is one thing they did well on.

Although finally, IE is starting to fill up the gaps that was lagging them behind previously  :P

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »
IE9 has made significant improvements. The speed boost is one thing they did well on.
I agree.  I immediately noticed smoother scrolling of pages with IE9, compared to IE8. 

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 04:06:27 PM »
I'd really prefer to have the tabs below the menu bar, but the previous reg file fix doesn't seem to work for ie9 even though several sites on the web say it will.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:27:51 PM »
I already don't like it...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 04:47:16 PM »
I already don't like it...

IE9 is probably the best IE version released by Microsoft to date, but still firefox or chrome is doing better than it.

I feel like IE is trying to play major catch-up every time a new version is slated to be released  :P

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »
I'm trying to install it right now.

Let's say it's definitely starting with -300 points for the install process.

I mean, come on. Firefox- Opera- Chrome- a few clicks installs them.

For Internet Explorer 9:

First, I had to FIND THE BLOODY DOWNLOAD. most others you know, when you click "download" or "download now" download the file for you. But no, with IE9 it takes you to some otherwise unrelated site that drones on about how great IE is and silverlight and other unimportant BS... and it makes sure you know about the tiny "download" button in the upper right, by not highlighting it's location at all.

So then I download some seemingly random file which starts out by downloading IE9.

OK, am I seriously the only one who hates the way they do this? if I choose to download something, I want to download IT not some stupid web-installer for it. This is the same nonsense we get to go through with service packs. but at least Service packs can justify it with their rather large size compared to how much will be used during the install.

So the install started... I guess... and the first thing it tells me is it has to close...

Every single useful application I was running. Visual Studio 2008, Editpad Pro, Firefox, Fox-it reader, mIRC, and best of all, Explorer.

I'm serious. when I had saved and closed all of those and clicked to continue...

IT terminated Windows Explorer. Goodbye start menu. For some reason I had to restart it manually too. Good thing I actually now how to do that.

And now it's doing nothing. Just sitting in the background- no prompts since. Do I have IE9 now? is it finished? Nope... still IE8.

So, I decided to look up some scree... *censored* program is that?

I think somebody mentioned it before, but it seems like both Firefox 4 and IE9 are going in the same direction as chrome- which is to say, they are throwing caution to the wind and using completely custom UIs, and custom skins. Sigh.

What is wrong with the developers? When you develop a Windows Application, it should look like a windows application. There shouldn't be any of this bloody "skinning" of your application to make it look special. It's called being CONSISTENT. At least most Linux Desktop developers understand this; their applications have a consistent interface that follows a set guideline. There shouldn't be ANY of this nonsense where Applications have skinned windows. It's stupid. Windows Live Messenger is an example- *censored* is that? SHOW ME A DAMNED NORMAL WINDOWS APPLICATION. none of this STUPID crap where you show me some fancy skinned window that I can... OMG! I can change the colours of it! I don't care. I want a Windows application to act as such. It should look like a windows application, not like a 5 year old vomited pastels all over the graphic designers concept art.

Obviously, Chrome was hardly the first example of this. But custom-skinned applications were stupid in 1995 when Media players were using it and they are still stupid today. Chrome just took an extra step and decided to completely redesign how menus are done.

Menus are something that should remain consistent throughout an OS. You don't go screwing around with something for the sake of trying to fix it, because it's not broken. There is nothing discoverable about what the "wrench button" does. The "hide menus until alt is press or the user hovers near it" was annoying in and of itself but at least it was consistent.

Go ahead. Open chrome- you know what the wrench does.

can you apply that piece of GUI info to any other application? No. of course not, it's a menu but it's entirely nonstandard. What they might have gotten away with- and what might actually work- would be to use something more akin to the Ribbon UI; and use the chrome button that would then be at the upper left to show the aforementioned menu. Then Users would learn about something that other applications actually use and they will be able to apply their knowledge that they learned about the ribbon from other applications to chrome.

Media players are another example of this, that have  been this way for years. I don't know what in particular makes them think they can turn their windows into a bloody canvas for idiot graphic designers who wouldn't understand good UI design if you buried them in Alan Cooper's published works, but they should STOP.

There are people praising how IE9 (and chrome, and by default FF4) get rid of the toolbar.

Why is this a good thing? I mean, Toolbars came around for a reason. to provide easier access to commonly used functions. It seems though that they really haven't removed the toolbar, they just stripped it down to three buttons and put it on the title bar. On the title bar. You know, even though the User Interface guidelines they've published since windows 95 have essentially said not to change the titlebar.

It just pisses me off to see developers wasting time re-solving a solved problem. Window management should be done by the Operating System. The minimize, Maximize, etc buttons should be off-limits and their appearance should be dictated by the appropriate color settings for the current theme. If you want to design your own User Interface with new concepts from the ground up, write your own OS; or better yet, write a DOS application.

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »
IE9 installed on my machine on first go. No freezing, nothing. I downloaded a tiny file, which did then download the installer and did its thing in that one dialog box. After I did the reboot as prompted by the installer, it was all fine.

But I know for every software out there, somebody's gonna have a problem or a complaint about it  :P

soybean

Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 04:31:19 AM »
IE9 installed on my machine on first go. No freezing, nothing. I downloaded a tiny file, which did then download the installer and did its thing in that one dialog box. After I did the reboot as prompted by the installer, it was all fine.

But I know for every software out there, somebody's gonna have a problem or a complaint about it  :P
If you're saying BC_Programmer had a problem installing it, I think you somewhat missed his point.  He wasn't saying he had a problem installing it.  I think he's saying the procedure is cumbersome and more complicated than need be, that it's more complicated than other browsers and software in general, and he's questioning the need for the complexity of the process.  As he said, why have the small initial download of a separate web-installer that then downloads the rest of the installation files? 

I don't see anything in your comments that lead to believe your installation worked different than his.  The process prompted you to shutdown any other application running or allowed you to let it shut them down, right?  And, it even shutdown Windows Explorer while installing, right?  So, the procedure worked the same for both of you, which is the same way it worked for me. 

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »
Pretty ugly looking and  it still doesn't meet web standards.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 09:20:09 PM »
IE9 installed on my machine on first go. No freezing, nothing.
Mine didn't freeze. Mine got to the part where it closes the various apps, it did so, and then it did nothing in the background for 3 hours (before I decided to just kill it). Naturally if I want to try again I get to use the same web installer which will once again download the installation components from the web.
I downloaded a tiny file, which did then download the installer and did its thing in that one dialog box.
I got at least three dialogs; the downloading components dialog, the initial Wizard page for installation, clicking next and accepting the agreement, and finally the dialog asking that some applications need to be closed.

I never got a reboot prompt. And seriously? A Reboot? which other browsers need a reboot? None. And if it's going to reboot anyway, why did it need to close all my programs? There are ways of making the OS replace files during the next reboot, and if the setup is  going to force that anyway it may as well use it and let me continue doing whatever it is I was doing while it installs.

After I did the reboot as prompted by the installer, it was all fine.
Like I said- never got a reboot prompt. I did have to reboot since though so I doubt it's the "missing piece" of the puzzle type thing.

My larger complaint isn't insomuch with Internet Explorer as it is with the way modern applications seem to shrug off any adherence to basic UI rules. Same with their installers.

They shouldn't need a reboot. Period. AFAIK even Windows Update only get's away with this by the skin of it's teeth.

So, the procedure worked the same for both of you, which is the same way it worked for me.

Well, not really. Mine didn't work insomuch as it stopped working entirely after the "we have to close some programs for no discernable reason" phase.

I imagine the reason was that those programs were using one or more of the IE libraries; EditPadPro may use it for the FTP feature; Firefox had it open because of IETab, Visual Studio 2008 had it open because it uses a webbrowser interface for it's startup page, and so forth.

Windows Explorer was just a weird one. I'm pretty sure it uses them in some capacity but requiring it to actually be closed? (maybe it didn't finish installing properly because I restarted explorer?)

I have no doubt the actual browser bit is better then IE8... although if "smoother scrolling" is the only thing I'm trying to wrestle this beast for then it's not really worth it. Also, I already noted my disdain for the direction applications are going with their complete ignorance of basic UI design. It's almost like each application is now being treated like a webpage circa 1996. We'll probably start hearing background MIDI's while programs start in a few years :P

Pretty ugly looking
Agree.

still doesn't meet web standards.

Based on what?

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 09:28:59 PM »
http://acid3.acidtests.org/

Perfect score:

IE9: