Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ping-able  (Read 8319 times)

Raptor

Ping-able
« on: June 26, 2004, 07:12:39 AM »
After having taken the tests at http://www.grc.com I noticed that I am still ping-able. I had noticed this before, a friend of mine had told me.

However, I pass all the other tests and my ports are all stealthed. I have both a Q-tec Router  and use Zone Alarm Pro. I disabeled most unnecessary services such as file and printer sharing, disabeled my UPnP port and DCOM services, etc.

Am I missing anything? How do I stop my computer from responding to the ping command?

chade

Re: Ping-able
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 09:46:01 AM »
A ping is an ICMP echo request - your computer is obviously configured to respond to the echo request, thus revealing you to the internet.

If you are using Win XP you can disable this by:

Right Click on your internet connection->Properties->Advanced->Enable the Firewall->Click Settings->Choose the ICMP tab->Make sure ICMP echo is not checked (shouldn't be by default I belive - once the firewall is enabled).

Not sure if this will work, to be honest (my hardware firewall can block ICMP echos so its never worried me), but it's worth a try.

Edit: Useful port lister for your reference:
http://lists.gpick.com/portlist/portlist.htm
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 09:46:52 AM by chade »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 09:56:19 AM »
I enabled my Windows XP firewall. I will see if I am still ping-able.

Why did you show me the website with the explanation of all the ports? According to  http://www.grc.com (Shieldsup!) all my ports are stealthed. And I passed every test. Except for the ping-able. I will try again now.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 09:57:31 AM by Raptor »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 10:01:57 AM »
Block WAN Ping

When you "Block WAN Ping", you are causing the public WAN IP address on the Broadband Router to not respond to ping commands. Pinging public WAN IP addresses is a common method used by hackers to test whether your WAN IP address is valid and supports a network.

Should I enable this? It is a function that my Router seems to support.

chade

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 10:03:49 AM »
Always good to have more info.  I'm not sure that the ports grc are displaying as stealthed is the same as the ping port - I think you'll find the former is a TCP/IP ports list whilst the latter is an ICMP port.  I'm not a networking guru, so I'm not sure what the distinction really MEANS.

Edit:  You got another post in before I submitted!
Yes, enable the block.  I would be surprised if this didnt do it - why would you want to be pinged from the WAN (read internet) after all.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 10:05:03 AM by chade »

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 10:20:51 AM »
According to Microsoft's Firewall, being able to be pinged helps in 'solving problems with the computer'

Sure it does..

merlin

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 02:45:32 PM »