Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox 4 FINAL Released  (Read 31855 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Firefox 4 FINAL Released
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »
Of course. Right click on the bar, customize, move the icons wherever you like.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
Of course. Right click on the bar, customize, move the icons wherever you like.
Cool!, That's better. Thanks Allan.  :)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »
Sure, no problem.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 05:20:19 PM »
Thanks, I did that. But I'd also like the 'Home' button in the navigation bar back on the left side like it was with previous versions. Can that be done?

This is one of the first things I did. Right click the tool bar, select "Customise...", and the "Customise Toolbar" box appears. It's full of little icons representing toolbar elements. Now you can drag toolbar elements (including the Home button) into and out of the box, but you can also drag them to other locations on the toolbar. It actually spells "Customise" the British way with an 's', I don't know if that's because of my Windows locale settings or whether it's standard for all English language versions.

Another thing I missed was the drop down history arrow on the back and forward buttons. You can get the same menus to appear by either right clicking the buttons or by a left click and hold, but if you hanker after the old dropdown arrow there is an addon called Backward Forward History Dropdown which I got here http://kuix.de/mozilla/backforedrop/

Yet another thing I did (which some people might think was retrograde) was to install Firefox 3 theme for Firefox 4, available here http://ffaddons.game-point.net/ff3ff4/

This theme restores the look of Firefox 3 to the Firefox 4 interface. In Firefox 4, the default GUI has been changed dramatically to favour a 'minimalist' UI. Even if one restores large icons, the theme on Windows forcibly resizes the icons so that they stay small. The default icon glyphs provided with the Firefox 4 theme are also rather dull and lifeless, with all the colour sucked out of them.

I agree with some of this - I like small icons but I do find the default FF4 theme a bit lifeless.

With this theme installed and the Firefox 3 look and feel restored, you will once again be able to display large toolbar icons at their correct size. The default icons have also been restored to their Firefox 3 equivalents. The rest of the Firefox 4 interface by and large stays the same, as it's not as dull and minimalistic as the toolbar. For example, the icons for categories along the top of the 'Options' dialog have not been changed.

Finally I checked "Menu Bar" in View - Toolbars.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 08:09:11 PM »
Been using beta versions on my laptop, upgraded from 3.6 to 4.0 on a very first day.
Zero problems.

As for add-ons not working, see here how to fix it: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/40828-how-to-bypass-firefox-40-betas-incompatible-add-on-error-and-install-extensions-anyway/page__p__150811__hl__firefox__fromsearch__1#entry150811

Accessless

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »
Did anyone else have problems with temporary freezes? Every now and then I would open a new tab or 12 and firefox would appear to freeze temporarily (only firefox, everything else worked fine during freezes). Also I lost a significant amount of performance, I mean back to firefox 1 style.

I've been looking at Japanese lately and I think that I can translate this statement from Mozilla:

"We’re always looking for ways to make your browsing easier and more efficient." = We are idiots and have ruined the interface to create a more stressful browsing experience.

I know as with everything in firefox layout is customisable, but I had problems with the Menu bar... If I wanted it I had to turn it on every time I started firefox. It got old... fast.

So all in all Firefox 4 gets a thumbs down from me. Back to 3.6. Hoping for better luck in the future.

mar.and65

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 10:56:25 PM »
    Did anyone else have problems with temporary freezes? Every now and then I would open a new tab or 12 and firefox would appear to freeze temporarily (only firefox, everything else worked fine during freezes). Also I lost a significant amount of performance, I mean back to firefox 1 style.

I've been looking at Japanese lately and I think that I can translate this statement from Mozilla:

"We’re always looking for ways to make your browsing easier and more efficient." = We are idiots and have ruined the interface to create a more stressful browsing experience.

I know as with everything in firefox layout is customisable, but I had problems with the Menu bar... If I wanted it I had to turn it on every time I started firefox. It got old... fast.

So all in all Firefox 4 gets a thumbs down from me. Back to 3.6. Hoping for better luck in the future.

I got the freezing problem few times right after upgrading to firefox 4.0.1  :o, I am thinking about a rollback. but I don't think it's good idea to got 3.6 because 4.0 is speed and better looking than 3.6. I have notified Mozilla about this freeing issue and hope they'll fix it soon. I suggest you to hold on it few more days and look for a fix.  8)

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
      • Yes
    « Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 03:14:45 AM »
    done ;)

2x3i5x

Expert
    « Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »
    Probably want to let FF update itself thru its autoupdater.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #39 on: April 28, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
    4.01 is released and all seems to be working properly.
    1.  Google Toolbar dropdown list.  http://support.mozilla.com/my/questions/796021
    2.  pdf viewing within the browser now works without reinstallation.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
    « Reply #40 on: April 29, 2011, 06:16:18 AM »
    Well, I just tried 4.01 and still have the problem with the Google Search box. Yes, the dropdown box opens as I type, but if I click on one of the selections in that box nothing happens. Back to 3.6. Again :(

Salmon Trout

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
    Well, I just tried 4.01 and still have the problem with the Google Search box. Yes, the dropdown box opens as I type, but if I click on one of the selections in that box nothing happens. Back to 3.6. Again :(

Well, I normally customize the toolbar by removing the Google search box (if I want to go to Google, I'll go there) but to find out about this, I just now, in FF 4.0, re-enabled it, and it worked fine for me, Google Suggest drop down appeared, and I was able to select one and get a Google page open up with that search (this is what we are talking about, right? Or is it the Google Toolbar?).

While I was doing this, Firefox offered to update itself to 4.01. I accepted, and afterwards it still works.

I initially typed "pretty girls"...

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
    « Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 08:39:50 AM »
    Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Tried it on an XP system and a W7 system and it did not work properly for me on either one. But it appears you're using a different version of Google Toolbar than I am. I'm using 7.1.2...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 08:59:08 AM »
    But it appears you're using a different version of Google Toolbar than I am. I'm using 7.1.2...

I don't think he is using google toolbar at all, but rather the integrated Firefox Searchbar.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
    « Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 09:00:45 AM »
    Ahhhh - yes, you are correct.