Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox 4 FINAL Released  (Read 38431 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: Firefox 4 FINAL Released
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 09:08:07 AM »
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Tried it on an XP system and a W7 system and it did not work properly for me on either one. But it appears you're using a different version of Google Searchbar than I am.

I don't know about any Google Searchbar. This is just the standard "Search" box that is part of the standard Firefox Navigation Toolbar which is there by default, but which I always remove by right clicking the Navigation Toolbar and selecting "Customise..." and dragging it into the box of stuff that appears. I just dragged it back out again. You can set it to a preferred search engine by left-clicking on the search engine icon. Mine is Google.

Are you talking about this, or some kind of add-on? If you are talking about the Google Toolbar add-on, I suggest you try clearing recent search history.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:27:43 AM by Salmon Trout »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
While I was typing, screen-grabbing and uploading to Photobucket, it seem that BC_P spotted what was going on. I still say try clearing the recent search history for Google Toolbar, and will only add that personally I have this deep aversion to installing toolbars from Google, when the Mozilla supplied search thing would probably do what I wanted, if I wanted it, which I don't, if that makes sense...

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
Surely, no separate search box is needed since any search can be done in Firefox just from address bar.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:28 AM »
Surely, no separate search box is needed since any search can be done in Firefox just from address bar.

You mean like this?

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
firefox seems to automatically do a standard google search for keyword terms. (At least, my pc has it that way).

For giggles, I keyworded "Broni" in the address bar and "Broni is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Pavia in the Italian region Lombard" so the first hit (from wikipedia) says....  :P

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2011, 11:59:09 AM »

ST, how do you get screen captures like that?  In other words, what tool are you using that captures the screen without closing a drop-down box as soon as you hit any key or do anything with the mouse? 

BTW everyone, no problems with FF4 here, including viewing PDF documents.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2011, 01:05:18 PM »
ST, how do you get screen captures like that?  In other words, what tool are you using that captures the screen without closing a drop-down box as soon as you hit any key or do anything with the mouse? 

When the screen is how I want it, I press the PrtScrn key. This copies the whole screen to the clipboard. It does not affect any drop downs or dialogs. Then I open MS Paint and paste it into the new document and crop it how I want. Finally I save it (usually as a jpg).

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »
Gotcha.  I've been using the Snipping Tool in Windows 7 for months and forget about this advantage of using the PrtScrn key.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2011, 04:34:36 PM »
I don't think he is using google toolbar at all, but rather the integrated Firefox Searchbar.
Exactly right!  Google Toolbar Add-On.  I have no idea why mine is working with this new version.
BTW, Fastone Image Viewer has a variety of screen capture options: foreground, window, object, rectangle region, freehand.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
You mean like this?
Exactly...

I compacted FF even more, by moving all "Navigation bar" items to "Menu bar" and then I disabled "Navigation bar" altogether.
One toolbar less:

Accessless

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »
I know as with everything in firefox layout is customisable, but I had problems with the Menu bar... If I wanted it I had to turn it on every time I started firefox. It got old... fast.

So did anyone else have this problem or was it just me with a bizarre glitch?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »
BTW, Fastone Image Viewer has a variety of screen capture options: foreground, window, object, rectangle region, freehand.

I have got Snagit! which has those.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »
New Google Toolbar might fix it:  Version 7.1.20110316W

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2011, 07:16:36 AM »
I compacted FF even more, by moving all "Navigation bar" items to "Menu bar" and then I disabled "Navigation bar" altogether.
One toolbar less:
On my menu bar are the Google Search Toolbar and Roboform. Below that is the nav bar. No room to compact / combine any further for me :)

New Google Toolbar might fix it:  Version 7.1.20110316W

I uninstalled Google Toolbar and FF4 completely, then reinstalled FF4.01 and the new release of Google Toolbar. So far two issues:

1) With Google Toolbar, I cannot clear the search history. Everything else seems to work as expected.

2) Some delay / lag when switching between some of my tabs (not all, just some). I've tried disabling and re-enabling hardware accelerations (as suggested on some Mozilla Forum posts for the beta) with no success.

Other than that, things seem to be okay so for now I'm back to FF 4.01