Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't keep correct time  (Read 7574 times)

Jharryl

Computer won't keep correct time
« on: June 26, 2004, 06:47:03 PM »
My computer refuses to keep the correct time.  It GAINS anywhere from a few minutes to nearly an hour a day.  The speed-up seems to increase the longer the system is in use.  Everyone I've asked has never heard of this problem.  Any clues??

Thanks in advance.

Raptor

Re: Computer won't keep correct time
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 04:11:57 AM »
I donot know what Operating System you are currently using, but if double click on your clock and then head to the third tab, you should tag the 'automatic update with a timeserver on the Internet' option.

Unless you're talking about the BIOS time settings, in which case I donot know how to keep these synchronized.

chade

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 04:31:06 AM »
Strange indeed.  The clock can be updated from within operating systems as Raptor has described, but it's controlled on the motherboard.  Usually, when time is wrong, your computer will LOSE time due to a flat/failing battery on the motherboard (CMOS battery).

Can't recall ever hearing of a computer gaining time before - not sure it's fixable as it sounds as if it may be a hardware fault.

If you're using WinXP set your computer to time sync with an NTP server as Raptor has described (not sure if this came in before WinXP - can't remember).  This will at least pull the time back in sync every time you reboot

MalikTous

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 10:18:33 AM »
With Pre-XP Windows, download freeware like Dimension 4 or AtomClock and set it to run once a day to automatically update your system clock. You could also renew your CMOS battery, some clocks speed up before the battery goes flat.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 12:26:06 PM »
    Jharryl.......I would do as Maliktous suggests....replace the CMOS battery ........( It would be a good idea to record all the Bios and CMOS settings before you take out the battery ) ....Is the gaining time thing something that has just started .

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.