Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Fax Not Receiving ALL incoming faxes  (Read 6002 times)

bam62604

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer Fax Not Receiving ALL incoming faxes
    « on: March 30, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »
    We have installed a fax modem to our computer at work. We have typically have no trouble receiving or sending faxes. However, occasionally we will not receive a fax that the person says went through. When we switch the line back to the standard fax machine, it comes through fine. My boss wants to just keep it on the fax machine to avoid the problem. However, I feel like that would be taking a step in the wrong direction because the fax modem is so convenient. Does anyone have any suggestions or explanations?

truenorth

Guru

Re: Computer Fax Not Receiving ALL incoming faxes
      « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
      Has anyone checked with the "sender" of one or more of the faxes that do NOT come through to see what kind of a message they are getting at the conclusion of their "send"? If they are getting an indication that it was sent/received OK then you cannot continue to use the fax modem as obviously that would have adverse business consequences. If they are getting some sort of a "failure" message that is a frustration for them but if should prompt further action on their part. This can be (from my own experience ) a problem involving the senders ISP which can be corrected by them.  However also from my own experience the fix may not last and will have to be repeated (by them).This suggestion is obviously based on the assumption that the fauly faxes are being generated via a computer based method or alternatively via a dial in long distance phone system. As an example of the latter where the sender subscribes to a system where they must dial into a phone company before accessing a call to a specific phone/fax number. Many long distance phone plans involve this type of connection.truenorth

bam62604

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »
        Supposedly they are saying that it says it went through on the other end. Sometimes we get one page & sometimes we don't get any. I had read somewhere that sometimes the older fax machines could transmit the fax fast enough for the computer modems so it disconnects the fax. I am wondering if that is the case because it seems like the ones that come from businesses come through fine, but the ones that come from individuals are the ones that we have problems with. Do you think if I put a splitter on the fax line to where both the fax machine & the modem are plugged in that it would be "smart enough" to send it there if it won't come over on the computer line? Otherwise we may just have to have 2 incoming fax numbers. I just hate to do that because all of our business cards & letterhead have our fax number. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for the prior input.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:41:34 AM »
          Yes the aspect of the problem being from a private sender (probably on an older device is exactly what can be at the root of the issue --or a routing issue with their communications provider). I doubt that installing a "splitter" will solve it as i don't think the problem is at your end. It will likely be at their end. I would reccommend a 2 line system except how are  you going to determine which number to advise them to use? Unless you know who is consistently having the problem ( a regular correspondent) as opposed to an unknown sender. You might want to have a chat with your ISP (for the computer based faxes) and see if you can set up a test of a send from a known sender that has the issue and have them monitor the transmission and have the sender's provider do the same. I have solved the issue (often temporarily ) by doing exactly that procedure. truenorth

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:40:06 AM »
          They could be lying....just sayin.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:08:52 PM »
            Always a possibility i suppose. But i have had exactly this same problem myself (i access my sending of faxes via a remote phone connection from an older multi function machine) and through interaction with the recipient and my providers we determined that routing via the providers was at the basis of the problem. I received the indication of fax sent OK at end of transmission but it was NOT received. Sometimes the fix (done by my provider )stuck and sometimes it did only for a while and needed to be done again. truenorth