Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new connection-internet  (Read 2831 times)

TREX294

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    new connection-internet
    « on: April 11, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »
    I recently moved into a new place and my roommate has his computer hooked up through a Modum. I live in the basement. What ways can I get my computer hooked up so I can have internet access downstairs. We have it through the local cable tv system.. Do I need another modum or can I buy something that would get me internet connected?

Sorry, not a computer wizard. Thanks for any help.

Darren

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: new connection-internet
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:29:39 AM »
    A router allows using multiple computers on one internet service.  Many routers have wireless capability and thereby allow wireless connectivity with laptop computers with built-in wireless receivers or with desktop computers using a wireless adapter.

Are using a laptop computer?  Is so, a wireless router would a solution for you.  Using a cabled connection to the router, instead of wireless, means a cable would need to be run from upper floor to basement, or vice versa, depending on where the modem is located.  Wireless would avoid the need to run the cable between floor levels.