Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No video after computer "upgrade"  (Read 5461 times)

Vasha

No video after computer "upgrade"
« on: June 27, 2004, 03:35:30 PM »
Hello, first time poster here. Hopefully someone can help us. First my husband tried to install my old harddrive from an older computer into my newer computer. We had everything shut off, touched the chasis so it would get rid of any static. He had to take the video card out of the motherboard in order to fit the 2nd harddrive in the computer. After everything was screwed in securely, he put the video card back in and put the cover back on the tower. Plugged everything up, the fans were going, lights were going on the tower but we have no video. We thought maybe it was the monitor, but we hooked it up to a working computer and the monitor checks out ok. So we turned the computer off, opened the chasis, took the video card out and made sure no dust was in the video card slot. We even took out the second harddrive incase it was conflicting. We put the video card back, the chasis back on the tower and plugged everything back up. We still get no video. Now after the frustration of that, we tried hooking my harddrive up to his computer and it now has an error on it from all the shutdowns. That is another thing that is frustrating us but that's another post. We really need some help. I really can't afford another computer nor right now someone to fix it. I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter and would name my first born son or daughter after the person that can give us the resolution.

Raptor

Re: No video after computer "upgrade"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 03:48:26 PM »
Tempting offer.

Did you enable the second hard disk to function as a slave? Either by setting the jumper to cable select and then as a slave in the BIOS or setting the jumper to slave.

Did you make an attempt to install the videodriver in a different slot? Is it detected in the BIOS? Is it enabled in the BIOS?

Edit:

Did you set your primairy harddisk to either Cable Select and Master in the BIOS or as Master via the jumper?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 03:51:30 PM by Raptor »

merlin

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 05:51:47 PM »
have you attached the cable to the monitor  from the pc and is  the monitor switched on things like this maybe overlooked due to to haste.. and are all the cables connected to the mobo what o/s is this and are there any beeps on boot up....
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 05:53:24 PM by merlin »

Vasha

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 02:09:23 AM »
Well when set it up on my computer, he didn't adjust the cabling as slave/master. However we never got to get to the bios screen because the video never came on. We even tried to just turn the computer back on without the older hardrive and still no video. For the 2nd reply, we had everything hooked up, even tightened the screws really well. The monitor, when the computer is off has a green light on, but when we turned the computer on, it would go from a green light to an orange light, like it was in standby or something. Not sure what to make of it. And I really can't honestly say I could remember or not if my computer made beeps on boot up. I saw on a different board someone telling a guy to take his ram out and boot up, then it should beep alot. Not sure if I should try this. Any suggestions welcome.   :-/

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 06:21:34 AM »
You can try taking out your RAM. Just be sure to degmagnetize your hands and be careful not to damage the RAM.

Also, you may want to try to reset your BIOS. See the manual of your mainboard on how to do this.