Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Did not save doc. correctly.  (Read 2978 times)

Monica

Did not save doc. correctly.
« on: August 18, 2005, 01:33:50 AM »
 ::)My husband saved his MS Word document without putting it into a folder. It saved as the Word program. Now when we open a blank document, his old saved document is sitting there and we can't get rid of it. I tried restore and even reinstalled MS Word and the document will not budge. I tried renaming and nothing works. I am afraid we have damaged our Word program. When we click on Word, that document opens up. I have deleted it and it won't delete.

Raptor

Re: Did not save doc. correctly.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 03:30:31 AM »
Wordpad or Office Word?

Michael

Adviser
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 08:07:15 AM »
    I believe your husband has overwrite the original Normal Word template. Try to look for the template in C:\Documents and Settings\user name \Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.
    You have to choose "Show hidden files and folders" under Folder Option in order to get to the folder.
    Check out the template(s) in the folder, and if the template is what your husband has saved, then remove all the content and save it as a template (Save as type: ) with the name "Normal" and replace the one existing.  

Monica

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 06:33:28 PM »
    Thank you for helping me.  I thought it was something to do with the template. I was able to fix it by going into normal.dot. I don't understand it, but it is okay now.

Monica

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 06:35:32 PM »
    It is Word. But I think it is fixed now.

Mac

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 04:14:02 PM »
    If the Normal.dot template is ever corrupted, just close Word, unhide hidden files and folders and delete it.

When you open Word again it will build you a new Normal.dot template.

Note: If you ever uninstall Word you may have to delete the normal.dot template by the same method, as it often stays on the hard-drive.

Monica

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 04:25:34 PM »
    You learn something new every day whether you want to or not. I will save the normal.dot help in my troubleshooting file. Thank you.