Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buffer = ? In MS DOS config.sys what is the maximum  (Read 8627 times)

remullis

Buffer = ? In MS DOS config.sys what is the maximum
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:14:38 PM »
I had a PC die on me that was running a Operating System used in CNC programming. I changed the PC and had Win 98 installed which is what was on the other. When trying to transfer files within this DOS driven software I get a Buffer size exceeded error. In Config.sys, what is the maximum number I could put in this field? Or is it hard coded. Also, is this just a string buffer?

Thanks
Rich

Salmon Trout

Re: Buffer = ? In MS DOS config.sys what is the maximum
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 03:01:07 PM »
what number do you currently have in your BUFFERS= line? BUFFERS=75 is a common setting. This setting is for file i/o not strings.

MMac

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:26:19 AM »
    I had a PC die on me that was running a Operating System used in CNC programming. I changed the PC and had Win 98 installed which is what was on the other. When trying to transfer files within this DOS driven software I get a Buffer size exceeded error. In Config.sys, what is the maximum number I could put in this field? Or is it hard coded. Also, is this just a string buffer?

Thanks
    Rich
    0 to 255 the more you add,more memory is used,i have 768mb of memory on one of my computers and i have added 180 buffers and it is faster. Just edit the config.sys file example  buffers=180     then save and exit you must restart your computer for this to take effect. and I am running xp pro sp2

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:43:34 AM »
    This thread is a year old (not that the answer would make any more sense if it wasn't).

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 06:45:40 AM »
    180 buffers ? ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:03:32 AM »
    Nothing in config.sys changes the way Windows XP works.

In fact, No version of NT even Looks at config.sys during startup. Any perceived speed increase is only perceived and not actual.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 07:04:59 AM »
    Don't spoil his fun....he may spend weeks working on another non-functional speed tweak...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 07:12:14 AM »
    Don't spoil his fun....he may spend weeks working on another non-functional speed tweak...
    Some all around speed "tips":

-If you wear unmatched socks it can increase file access times by over 50%!

-People with fillings should avoid using the mouse, and use keyboard operations where possible. Experiments done on guinea pigs have revealed that this can increase throughput by a factor of 5 compared to a guinea pig sitting on your keyboard.

-If you have a game controller plugged it, put flame stickers on it. It makes everything go faster.

-If you have more then 512MB of memory, this can slow down newer operating systems like Windows Vista, because they deal with memory in something called Blubbors*. a Blubbor takes a long time to transfer, and the more blubbors you have, the longer everything takes. Windows Vista has a minimum requirement of at least 3.51 Blubbors, but has been known to run on machines as low as a half blubbor (also known as a scaligree**). Anyway, the more blubbors the slower t hings go, and the more memory you have, the more blubbors, so if you remove memory things will go faster. No arguing with logic.

*Blubbors do not exist. If you think you are seeing a blubbor, it's a hallucination. Seek medical aid immediately.
    **scaligree's were discovered in 1636 by the Algonquin native tribe in North America. It smells like daffodils.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 05:16:14 PM »
    Blubbors do exist...