Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Acer Aspire 5003wlmi RAM upgrade, help please!  (Read 9193 times)

Gretz98

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Acer Aspire 5003wlmi RAM upgrade, help please!
    « on: April 28, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »
    I recently purchased two 1GB SODIMM PC2700 DDR 200 pin to upgrade the memory on my Acer Aspire 5003wlmi laptop. After removing the original 512mb memory, I placed the two 1GB chips in the memory slots, but the computer won't turn on properly (the fan engages for about 2 seconds, then shuts off. The screen stays blank and only the green power light stays on). After consulting with Acer's support, they concluded that my motherboard does not support the chips because I need to update my BIOS.

I understand how sensitive updating the BIOS is and want to do this properly. I downloaded the zip file provided by Acer's support site for my laptop, which included WinPhlash, but do not know which file to flash to update. There is a file that I think is the update called ZL53A32.WPH.

Anyone have any suggestions? I just want to upgrade the memory on my laptop because I'm sick and tired of how slow it runs. Please help!

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Acer Aspire 5003wlmi RAM upgrade, help please!
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »
    Link to the zip and I can try and figure it out.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »
    It appears that you just have to run the setup program. I can't test it though, because I am not admin.
    YouTube

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 11:08:34 AM »
    I just noticed that there is a PDF that explains the steps. It's called "Win Flash Update SOP". It's in the zip.
    YouTube

Gretz98

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 11:29:42 AM »
      I had already followed the SOP Manual provided in the zip file, but I'm stuck on Step 10 (Select the correct BIOS in the BIOS folder). The manual does not show a specific file - only a generic picture, thus I do not know if the file ZL53A32.WPH is the file intended to flash to update the BIOS for my computer.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 11:51:50 AM »
      ...I do not know if the file ZL53A32.WPH is the file intended to flash to update the BIOS for my computer...
      There is only 1 file it could be & that's the one.  It's the only one with the WPH extension.

Gretz98

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 12:01:06 PM »
        K, that's what I was thinking, but given the potential for disaster I've been reading about when it comes to updating your BIOS I wanted to be 100% sure.

Anything I should know before flashing that file? I'm going to backup some files before doing it. Like I said, just a little nervous about this since a bad flash can crash the system.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 12:08:30 PM »
        K, that's what I was thinking, but given the potential for disaster I've been reading about when it comes to updating your BIOS I wanted to be 100% sure.

Anything I should know before flashing that file? I'm going to backup some files before doing it. Like I said, just a little nervous about this since a bad flash can crash the system.
        Bad flash won't "crash the system", it will kill the computer rendering it no more than a doorstop or paperweight.  Some modern computers have "bad flash protection" built into the motherboard.  I've only had a problem 1 time with 20-30 computers & motherboard wasn't fully working to begin with.  The flash only takes about 10 sec.

Ability to flash from within Windows did not exist 10 years ago.

Read warnings on P.10 of pdf file.

Gretz98

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »
          Now I'm really stuck. I flashed the file and WinPhlash came up with "The current system BIOS is the same version (or newer) than the version you are trying to flash, so the BIOS will not be changed."

Since I apparently can't update BIOS, any ideas on how I can get those RAM chips to work?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 01:01:24 PM »
          Now I'm really stuck. I flashed the file and WinPhlash came up with "The current system BIOS is the same version (or newer) than the version you are trying to flash, so the BIOS will not be changed."

Since I apparently can't update BIOS, any ideas on how I can get those RAM chips to work?

...After consulting with Acer's support, they concluded that my motherboard does not support the chips because I need to update my BIOS....
          Are you saying you never looked to see what was your current version?
          And Acer never asked what your current version was?  It appears that Acer's support came to the wrong conclusion.  Why not ask them?
          Maybe the RAM modules are not what they're supposed to be.  Where exactly did you get them?

Gretz98

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 01:16:35 PM »
            I never checked to see what my current version of BIOS was (don't know how to check) and Acer never asked.

I bought the chips from a vendor on eBay and have triple checked the specs on the chips to ensure that they should work for my lap top. Here are the exact specs on the chips:

2GB(2x1GB) DDR PC2700 SODIMM 1 GB PC 2700 333MHz LAPTOP MEMORY

Also, here is the link to the seller/item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330516249874&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »
            I knew you would say eBay.  Should have gone here 1st:  http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx
            Enter the info manually or use the scanner.
            I do see a difference:  the ones you bought are 64x8 Low Density
            Crucial specifies:  128x64 for the 1GB, 64x64 for the 512MB
            http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Aspire%205000%20Series&Cat=RAM

Google "RAM Density" & "64x8 RAM density"

Unfortunately, your laptop specs don't specify:  http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/Aspire5000/Aspire5000sp2.shtml
            User Guide has nothing, either.

CPU-Z will tell you exactly what's in there now:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
            SPD tab will show the detail of each RAM module, except for density.
            BTW, also shows BIOS version on Mainboard tab.

HWInfo32 is another good one:  http://www.hwinfo.com/download32.html
            « Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:57:55 PM by Computer_Commando »

Gretz98

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »
              Thanks a ton, you've given me more information on this thread than I've been able to find in about 8-10 hours of research.

Does the density of the RAM typically make this big of a difference on most laptops? Also, is the best course of action to just purchase the chips through Crucial? I can get a refund for the eBay purchase.

Gretz98

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 04:00:41 PM »
                Just googled Ram density, as you suggested. Needless to say I've never felt like such a noob.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                « Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 04:17:13 PM »
                Usually, low density will work in high density motherboard, but not the other way around.  First time I heard of a laptop problem.  It could be that the eBay vendor sold you mislabeled RAM.  Whether intentional or not, it's always best to stay away from eBay, because it's mostly close-out or grey market junk that can't be sold anywhere else.  They could even be Chinese knockoffs of name brand devices.

Unless you can buy the modules locally, you can't go wrong with Crucial, their database seems to always be 100% correct.  BTW, they are a division of Micron, who manufactures the chips & the modules.  Micron now owns Lexar.
                Says this on one of the web pages:  © 2011 Micron Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.

Gretz98

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »
                  Thanks again for the advice. I'll just go and order the chips from Crucial and save myself the headache.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                  « Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 04:35:35 PM »
                  If it doesn't work this time, you know for sure it's the Acer.
                  Did you run CPU-Z and/or HWInfo32?  They provide lots of useful info.  HWInfo32 provides real-time temperature monitoring.

Gretz98

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 04:40:49 PM »
                    I'm running a defrag on one of the hard drives right now, but am going to run it through both of those sites as soon as it is done.

Given the cost of upgrading the memory ($110 after tax for 2 x 1GB through Crucial), would you recommend looking into purchasing a new computer altogether? I've been hoping to buy a new one in the near future since I've had this one for nearly five years, but was hoping to keep my cost down in the short term by upgrading the Acer's memory.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                    « Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
                    The problem is DDR memory is 3-4 times the cost of newer DDR2 memory.  DDR was only around for a year or 2 before it was replaced with DDR2; latest cpu's use DDR3.

I've got 2 older computers that both use DDR RAM.  I just paid $20 (on sale) for one 512MB RAM module; computer has 2 slots with 1GB max memory.

You could save some money by only replacing 1-256MB with 1-1024MB = 1280MB-64MB= 1216MB RAM available to Windows
                    Some of the RAM is shared with the graphics card:  SiSM760GX integrated 3D graphics controller with 64MB shared RAM