Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows update killed windows 7  (Read 4268 times)

kevpple

Topic Starter

Rookie

windows update killed windows 7
    « on: April 27, 2011, 12:30:38 AM »
    well today i decided to upgrade to internet explorer 9 so instead of downloading from ms website i ran windows update but windows update also recemended that i install some security updates  and a driver updates along with ie 9 and when it was done it ask me to ask me to save my work and reboot but after restarting  i got  an error sating the bcd or boot config data is missing some information so i booted in to xp which i also have installed and ran easy bcd but easy bcd cant find the bcd file and explorer says that the c:\windows dir on my win 7 drive is unreadable but it still shows a couple gigs of stuff in the propreties diolog.
    is windows 7 saveable or is it gone forever and has to be reinstalled  ???

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: windows update killed windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:02:01 AM »

kevpple

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 10:17:46 AM »
      i tried using the diskpart  but when accessing the windows folder it tells me that the drive is not ready

pugboy

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
      You should easily be able to do a System Restore - unless you specifically turned it off. The "System Restore" point saves your Windows state (including the entire registry). Just click the "Start" button and type "system restore", it will pop up, hit "Enter" and restore to the point it automatically made before it installed Internet Explorer 9. Your PC will take a while, and then reboot. Make sure everything is working right for a day or so, then download the installer from the Microsoft website.

well today i decided to upgrade to internet explorer 9 so instead of downloading from ms website i ran windows update but windows update also recemended that i install some security updates  and a driver updates along with ie 9 and when it was done it ask me to ask me to save my work and reboot but after restarting  i got  an error sating the bcd or boot config data is missing some information so i booted in to xp which i also have installed and ran easy bcd but easy bcd cant find the bcd file and explorer says that the c:\windows dir on my win 7 drive is unreadable but it still shows a couple gigs of stuff in the propreties diolog.
      is windows 7 saveable or is it gone forever and has to be reinstalled  ???

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
      windows update also recemended that i install some security updates  and a driver updates

NEVER download drivers from Windows Update. Drivers should only be obtained from the OEM websites - and then only if there is a specific need to do so.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 10:34:50 AM »
      NEVER download drivers from Windows Update. Drivers should only be obtained from the OEM websites - and then only if there is a specific need to do so.

I second Allan on this. I've seen many a computer screwed up by a Windows Update driver update recommendations. It's best to leave your drivers alone unless there's a specific need to upgrade them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, certainly don't let Microsoft Update try to fix it. Go to the hardware manufacture's website.

charezTech

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 05:29:13 AM »
      You should easily be able to do a System Restore - unless you specifically turned it off. The "System Restore" point saves your Windows state (including the entire registry). Just click the "Start" button and type "system restore", it will pop up, hit "Enter" and restore to the point it automatically made before it installed Internet Explorer 9. Your PC will take a while, and then reboot. Make sure everything is working right for a day or so, then download the installer from the Microsoft website.

system restore i will do, but don't u think that he should boot into safe mode to do, because i think he cannot boot into windows right? so if he just press F8 at boot then get into safe mode to do that, i think its much easier to do that in this instance if he does not have a recovery disk.

pugboy

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:38:40 AM »
      Hi. I was, prehaps, mistaken that the PC boots, but is messed up. If it does not boot, you can use a "Repair Disc" or the Windows Install disc to boot, and then select "Repair". One of the options would be to do a System Restore.

I also agree re: Windows Update drivers. They suck. I have run into problems many times, so I turned off the "auto-search" driver installer from hardware options in System Properties.

system restore i will do, but don't u think that he should boot into safe mode to do, because i think he cannot boot into windows right? so if he just press F8 at boot then get into safe mode to do that, i think its much easier to do that in this instance if he does not have a recovery disk.