Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installed new hardware now problems...  (Read 6003 times)

derek

installed new hardware now problems...
« on: June 28, 2004, 04:03:11 AM »
Hi all, after installing my new geforce2 mx 100/200 64mb video card and its drivers, every time I exit a video game like Blade Runner the screen just goes black, if I press the windows button on the keyboard the taskbar will appear with the start icon and clock in the bottom hand right of the screen and I can click on them and everything but the desktop does not appear or the icons. Is my new video card causing this problem? or is my computer just lagging after me playing a game for so long?
At one stage I got a system recource message saying my system recources are extremely low, ?????
Here are my system specs:

Windows 98
AMD K6-2 500mhz
64mb of RAM
Geforce2 MX 100/200 64mb video card
Dolphin 2 channel sound card
6 gig hard drive
CDROM drive
Floppy Drive

I did some research on this message and apparently ts because of programs that are running in the background but all I have is explorer,Rundll32,Netropa Hot Key (keyboard software) and FMctrl (sound control)

Rundll32 has only just appeared after installing the video card so.... what could it be?
This is on my computer in my room, basically a project in working progress but has been running fine scince the new video card.

Raptor

Re: installed new hardware now problems...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 06:07:03 AM »
Did you install the latest drivers for your videocard?

I recommend you shut down Netropa Hot Key (keyboard software) after resetting and then play the game. See if this is causing it.

merlin

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 02:37:28 PM »
try knocking down the graphics accelerator..right-click with mouse on desktop...click the properties tab then the setting tab then the advanced tab  performance tab....hardware accelerator...try that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 02:37:55 PM by merlin »

derek

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 05:50:03 PM »
I have installed only the drivers that came with the video card but I cannot find any updated versions for my model.
I shut down that keyboard software program and I knocked the hardware acceleration down to level 2, everything seems back to normal now. Thanks alot

But I am curious about that message about my system recources when I go into system information it says I have 86% free, is this correct or should it be higher or lower?
Also I bought the motherboard and hardware off my mate and he said there's actually 128mb installed but dxdiag and system info is only detecting 64mb installed, maybe this could cause that error message too?

derek

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 11:36:04 PM »
Ok there has been a recent turn in events, because my hardware acceleration is lower I cant play any games that require Direct3D and putting the acceleration level back to full causes the screen to go blank after playing one of my games.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 03:15:42 AM »
Does it only happen to Blackrunner? If yes, patch or reinstall the game.

If it happens to more 3D FPS games, install these videocard drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_56.64

Search for instructions on the website.

When you turn your acceleration to full, is the keyboard shortcut software running?

What other tabs do you have near your 'performance' tab where you set hardware acceleration to a lower level?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 03:19:39 AM by Raptor »

derek

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 04:44:10 PM »
Yeah so far its only happening with Blade Runner, this game doesn't require Direct3D because its an older game. I have installed the latest drivers for my video card, but what I'm doing now for Blade Runner is I'm minimizing the window and then pressing ctrl+alt+delete and ending the game that way, it works.

I dont really want to disable the keyboard software because I only just bought it and this keyboard has so many cool functions.
Thanks alot guys.