Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Google not working  (Read 10209 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Google not working
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »
In the original post all I see is he has the problem with only one domain name. Not with other domain names.

When a site is not found, the DNS you are using will decide what they want to do. I get this all the time. But nit is not appear to be malware. With refresh, the site comes up. Would malware allow that?

If he changes to another DNS service, the results may be different. If he uses a proxy server, he will get results from another geographic area.

Why do you think it is a virus or some kind of malware?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »
In the original post all I see is he has the problem with only one domain name. Not with other domain names.

When they try to access ANY WEBSITE through google search they get redirected to another location. Only malware/spyware does this. Whether the domain they are redirected to is still active or not is irrelevant.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »
Hope I'm in the right forum!  Here goes...whenever I try to access any website through google search I get an empty page with the following address; eatiohonrggn.com.  This has been occuring for just over a month.  Can anyone help?  Web searches do not recognise the name.
That is what he said.  He is talking about one website.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 11:51:43 PM »
That is what he said.  He is talking about one website.

Are you dense? Did you even read that post? Are you perhaps suffering from some sort of severe mental handicap that has reduced you to a blabbering fool with the cognitive capabilities of a sack of potatoes, or are you being intentionally obtuse? He cannot access <ANY> website from a google search. It says it right there, in the passage you quoted, and which I quoted and used larger text to emphasize in the post immediate before yours. It doesn't say he cannot access a single website, it says they cannot access "ANY" website through google search,  because they all redirect them to a defunct URL. You seem to be under the impression that the problem is that that URL isn't loading. It's not. The problem is that they are being redirected at all. Whether that URL they are being directed to is no longer being paid for has nothing to do with their problem.

Perhaps I ought to describe how google search works? It's really quite useful, see you enter these things called queries and then it lists a bunch of results.

How are those results shown to you? as Links of course. Each link naturally being a single result. Now you'll notice something about the links: they don't all link to the same site. For example search google for "Coca Cola" or "Linux" and you'll find the results from a wide variety of locations.

naturally, one would expect that clicking on these links sends you to the site described by the result, but in cases such as the OP's, they are being redirected to another site. for every link. This is not a DNS problem. Again, where this site is doesn't matter. What is important is they are being redirected.

Let me reiterate, for the 5th or 6th time; the actual URL they are being redirected to is of no relevance at all. The problem is CLIENT-SIDE with <their> machine.

How do I know this? easy. Well, what I did was I went to google search myself, and searched for something. Now, when I click on a link in the results(remember before, I noted that results are shown as a list, with links to each result), it doesn't direct me to the defunct URL that the OP described. I assume that it didn't for you, if you were able to restrain your excitement over using a online whois tool for a few extra moments. Therefore, the problem is with their machine And the only time I've ever seen or heard of google searches being redirected is in the case of malware. I'm not sure what you think it is but the least relevant posts in this thread are all yours and jabber on about DNS, and how the url they are redirected to doesn't exist, as if that somehow makes their problem disappear, or is even relevant to the actual issue, which is that they are being redirected to another location when they click on a search result link.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 12:10:53 AM »
Are you dense? Did you even read that post? Are you perhaps suffering from some sort of severe mental handicap that has reduced you to a blabbering fool with the cognitive capabilities of a sack of potatoes,
That is what I was going to say to you.

In the post he uses the word 'any' incorrectly.
Not grammatically, but dramatically. It does not fit the context. He is only speaking about his search for one website, not any website. Read the context. He mentions a Google search, which simplicity excludes a reference to any site. Google is a website. If he had redirects with other sites he would have said so. He could have said 'some' sites. But he only names one domain name. No mention of any others. Except Google.

Nor has he come back to explain.

He may have meant 'my website' instead of 'any website.'

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 12:46:48 AM »
Geek-9pm, stop trolling. You're making CH look bad. Save this silly stuff for the Off topic board.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 01:09:25 AM »
Geek-9pm, stop trolling. You're making CH look bad. Save this silly stuff for the Off topic board.
Thank you JJ. Enough! Let's close this thread.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 11:12:57 AM »

Not grammatically, but dramatically. It does not fit the context. He is only speaking about his search for one website, not any website. Read the context. He mentions a Google search, which simplicity excludes a reference to any site. Google is a website. If he had redirects with other sites he would have said so. He could have said 'some' sites. But he only names one domain name. No mention of any others. Except Google.

Nor has he come back to explain.

He may have meant 'my website' instead of 'any website.'

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 11:31:03 AM »
maybe malware set up a local proxy server

@Geek
How can you argue about his use of the word any and not even attempt to answer his question. If your going to argue, try to help the OP at the same time.

@OP
If you're still reading this, I think you should visit the malware forum and post your logs.
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »

I've seen your posts, you are the last one that can claim that.

OP if you are reading this I would agree with Linux711.  It sounds like malware to me.
Evil is an exact science.

MightySheep

Greenhorn

• I dun goof'd
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 09:29:44 AM »
    This problem could easily be the work of an add on

If you're using firefox you should go tools > add-ons > see if there's any dodgy looking add ons (ones you weren't aware of)

Other browsers; probably similar.