Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cant format my Ext HD  (Read 3802 times)

1 Eyed TEZZA

Cant format my Ext HD
« on: May 06, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »
Hi guys. Brand new here.

I have an Astone ISO Gear SL300 1TB external hard drive.

A few days ago, I accidently disconnected it while it was in use and I lost all my info. Upsetting  but ill live as I can get most of it back.

Its telling me that I need to re format it again, which is also fine. However I can't do it with my laptop.

I connected it to a PC and it was able to format it, but when I try connecting to my laptop and transferring information over, it takes a ridiculously long time.

I then tried reformatting again over not with my laptop but it didn't budge, not even 1%. Im thinking the issue is with my laptop itself.

Iv got eSATA and 3 USB2.0 connections on my laptop. (used them all, still no formatting)

Any solutions guys? That would be great. Thanks :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Cant format my Ext HD
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 09:01:34 PM »
Reading your post there are some things that are not quite clear. If you format the external drive you will lose all the data that has been stored there. Do you understand that ?
It would seem that some damage was done to the external drive. However, it should not have been something so bad that it would prevent you from having access to the drive. This would suggest that perhaps the damage was not simply to the data that perhaps even physical damage or electrical damage to the cable. Is it possible for you to try another cable to look the external drive to the USB port on your computer?

1 Eyed TEZZA

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »
Im aware that I will lose all my data on it. Thats fine.

I have used an eSATA cable and a USB cable on 3 different USB ports. Same result, it doesn't format any of it.

Im trying AGAIN using the USB cable, doubt it will budge though.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »
When it's connected to the laptop, it transfers slow. Have you tried transferring while connected to the PC to see if it's also slow? If it works perfectly fine while connected to the PC, that might rule out damage to the cable or the drive itself.