Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Setup  (Read 2882 times)

jimbo8098

Topic Starter

Beginner

Network Setup
    « on: April 20, 2011, 07:29:22 AM »
    Hey everyone,

i got a problem trying to set up my network at home. i used to have JUST a wired network at home and it worked fine. the isp line came in and went into the hard wired router then straight into 2 computers , however i now run two servers and recently got a wifi router to connect them and some wifi devices to the internet and share files on the servers. So what i did to connect them up was to stick the wifi router into my wired router via ethernet then put one of the pc which were originally wired to the wired router and connected it with a wire to the wireless router. i then connected one of the servers to the wireless router via wire and it worked fine for the night i had it on.

BUT the very next night when one of the computers were restarted the computer could not reconnect to the network it was previously on. when i used ipconfig to find out the network ip it was connected to i found that it was connected to the wireless router even though the computer was directly connected to the wired router (which connects straight to the internet) so in effect it has tried to connect to the wireless router where there is no internet (the internet on it connects through one of the client ports since it is an asdl router which does not connect to the internet via asdl , so it is connected to the internet via one of its client ports (which does appear to work bar some status indicator on the wifi settings page , the connection status is "disconnected")

So how do i make it so that the computer that restarted can connect too? im not completely sure what i have to setup but i had a look at the ip config in network connection>connection>properties but i have no idea really how to use tis , i tried what i thought but it didnt work. WHEN I RESTARTED BOTH ROUTERS AND THE CONNECTION TO THE INTERNET , THE PC BECAME CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. but i dont want to have to do this every time. i think what the computer is doing is trying to get an ip automatically with the network and goes to the wifi router instead of the wired one. im sure its something simple and im surprised i actually managed to bring it into this much of a story. so yeah...

So the networks like this:

Internet
         |
         |
    Router 1 (wired)-----
         |                         |
    Comp 1  ???         Router 2 Wireless       ----------- Devices (wireless)
                                   |                   |
                                   |                   |
                               Comp 2         SRV 1

I am currently working for clicknetworks IT Support. Please feel free to visit our site at http://www.clicknetworks.co.uk

drivenbywhat

Beginner

Re: Network Setup
      « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
      Turn DHCP off on your wireless router. That way all your computers will get an IP from only your wired router. That should solve your issue of it not getting the right IP.
      If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

jimbo8098

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
        ok ill try that

I am currently working for clicknetworks IT Support. Please feel free to visit our site at http://www.clicknetworks.co.uk

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »
        So the networks like this:

Internet
             |
             |
        Router 1 (wired)-----
        Comp 1  ???         Router 2 Wireless       ----------- Devices (wireless)
                                       |                   |
                                       |                   |
                                   Comp 2         SRV 1
        1.  Is Comp 2 wired to Router 2?
        2.  Is SRV 1 wired to Router 2?
        3.  What is IP of Router 1?
        4.  What is IP of Router 2?

jimbo8098

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »
          1.  Is Comp 2 wired to Router 2? Yes

2.  Is SRV 1 wired to Router 2? Yes

3.  What is IP of Router 1? 192.168.0.1

4.  What is IP of Router 2? 192.168.2.1