Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help with taskkill  (Read 3209 times)

alecsillidan

Topic Starter

Beginner

help with taskkill
    « on: May 15, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »
    Hello, I have a problem if you can call it that way, I want to make a batch file that only allows some executables to run. For example I want to allow only skype.exe and YahooMessenger.exe or any executables written in a file, and the rest of executables to be taskkilled (taskkill *.*) in a loop. Is it possible? Can someone help me with this please?
    Thank you for ana further help:D
    We never had to cheat 'cause we already won!

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: help with taskkill
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:37:54 AM »
    You may be able to use tasklist in batch, but it would be hard because you would have to be updating the process list always. The best way to do this would be to use VB6. Why do you want to do this?
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

alecsillidan

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »
      I need it to only allow certain programs to run. I want to make something like a password prompt, and if you don't enter the password you won't be able to use programs, something like a much restricted quest account
      We never had to cheat 'cause we already won!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »
      A google led me to find Empathy. Which has the curious limitation of only allowing a single character password.

I also found an application called "Protect EXE Beta" (on http://www.paehl.de/home.htm, dl link is lower down (direct). The site and possibly the program are in German, so YMMV on how well it works.

EDIT: another option might be to install those applications you want to restrict access to on a separate account and password protect that. That wouldn't prevent somebody from trying to launch the application manually in the other accounts though.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.