Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: So, I finally upgraded to Firefox 4 today.  (Read 6926 times)

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: SOOOOOOOOO I upgraded FF3 to happily be FF4
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 10:03:59 AM »
This is whatever the Message Box font is that you chose in your display settings, as far as I can see. It is used for quite a lot of things if Firefox, as you (hopefully) can see...

It's not the font, it's the way it's rendered.

Tabs can be easily moved to their previous location by unchecking "Tabs on top" option (right click on any tab bar empty space).
yeah, thanks for that. I noted that they can be moved "but those can be moved, no problem there"; I was merely commenting that the entire idea of having the tabs occupy the title bar at all feels silly to me. (No doubt the same way my use of so at the beginning of my subject has been bothersome enough to some to not only point out but actually carry on a discussion about.)

I've been using Firefox 4 without any problems whatsoever for about a month now. I'm on v4.01. Am I missing something?
It uses some different screen smoothing, for me, anyway. If I put a wordpad window set to the same font next to this browser window, for example, and paste the same contents, I can read it a lot more clearly. Probably related to some sort of additional filtering the my video card is doing when FF is set to use acceleration. I'll probably have to fiddle about with it for a while sometime.
Install this theme if you don't like the look of FF4.x
I never said I didn't like the look of FF4. Well that's a lie, I did. But I also don't really like the ribbon UI, and I didn't like XP when I first installed it and started it off using the "classic" theme. I'm just skipping the same nonsense with FF where I use some theme or skin to make it "look" like the previous incarnation and then just end up using the new one at some later time anyway.

Firefox does NOT install any Ask toolbar. You got it from somewhere else.
Actually, I've come to think that maybe something installed it with FF 3.6.17, and I disabled it from within FF (but didn't uninstall it). And FF4 for some reason re-enabled all the add-ons I had disabled for whatever reason, and the toolbar was one of them.

As for the "So" bit. There is no right and wrong, people who say it's "wrong" were simply taught that it was wrong; there is no grammatical rule saying you cannot, just as there is no grammatical rule saying you cannot end a sentence with a proposition; it's a stylistic choice or guideline that has been "passed down" and is commonly believed by some to be "the rule". Of course, if you are writing formally you aren't going to get away with not following these stylistic guidelines, since many professors have agreed that reading papers with sentences that begin with "So..." says the student was not taught "proper" English, but that is only their opinion, because there is no real definition for what is and isn't "proper" english, it's all subjective. The only reason rules like that come into being is because somebody thinks it "doesn't sound right" and is in a position to enforce that as a rule- a professor, for example.

English is not a static language, by any means. Over time people basically made up "rules" for what you couldn't- or rather "shouldn't" do: never split an infinitive, active verbs are always better than passive verbs, and to always use "more than" instead of "over" with numbers. To draw an analogy, this is exactly the same type of thing that has occurred in programming languages "Never use goto" for example. This isn't to say such rules are bad, but rather that they aren't rules at all and are merely guidelines. As for education systems; each professor is no doubt going to "enforce" a different set of guidelines, In the same way that different CS teachers will enforce the various "rules" about writing programs. None of them are actual rules of the languages in question, and not following them doesn't necessarily prevent them from doing their job; a computer doesn't care if you use goto or not, just as most people will understand what you are saying if you use a active verb instead of a passive verb or split an infinitive. The only difference is a computer doesn't roll it's eyes when you use a goto.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

Re: So, I finally upgraded to Firefox 4 today.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 10:09:59 AM »
I don't think starting things like topic titles with "So" is "wrong", just annoying.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 10:12:54 AM »
I was merely commenting that the entire idea of having the tabs occupy the title bar at all feels silly to me
I've never seen any single feature in any single program, which would satisfy 100% of all users.
Do you think, it's even possible?

I've come to think that maybe something installed it with FF 3.6.17
Not even remotely possible.
Firefox never installed any foistwares.
Ask Toolbar installs with many other programs though.

I disabled it from within FF (but didn't uninstall it)
That's why you have it back.
Ask Toolbar is a typical foistware and it should be dealt with accordingly.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »
I've never seen any single feature in any single program, which would satisfy 100% of all users.
Yes.

Do you think, it's even possible?
Do you think, I said anything remotely similar to that? All I said was "the entire idea of having the tabs occupy the title bar at all feels silly to me"

I bolded the important bit. Of course it also breaks about a dozen standard UI rules, but so do a lot of applications these days, and a lot of applications always have, so that's not really that new.
Not even remotely possible.
Firefox never installed any foistwares.
Ask Toolbar installs with many other programs though.

No. I mean something installed it when I had 3.6.17. that is, SOMETHING ELSE. installed it. You know, a program being installed and I forgot to uncheck it when I installed it. I disabled it at the time but it refused to uninstall and I didn't have time to spend badgering around with it so I left it disabled.

That's why you have it back.
No, I have it "back" because FF4 automatically re-enabled every single plugin and extension that I had disabled before. Best guess might be that it has to do that to check compatibility or something along those lines; For example, the skype plugin was enabled again as well as a number of others. It stands to reason that the toolbar got re-enabled as well.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.