Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Might have down clocked my CPU???  (Read 2715 times)

DPalmz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• EyEz
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Might have down clocked my CPU???
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:35:34 PM »
Hi Guys....Ive been reading for a couple hours on here and other sites...seeing if someone had some similar problem.  Ive attached a .GIF imagine of my specs from your program "speccy".  I've also attached the txt version of it but i thought that was hard to read all compressed...if you need more details i can post another pic...i left out my extra details of my hard drive and optical drives and network.   Sorry im being so detailed. Just trying to make this easy as possible to diagnose.
To my Question:  I've been trying to clean my computer up and using all these different cleaners and background registry sweepers.  My computer was just bogged down...I came across this program that monitored my cpu/video card temperatures....speeds of all my fans...total of 6.(thats video card/cpu/power/ fan included).  I was reading tutorials on the program how you can speed up/down different parameters....well i accidentally clicked the wrong thing when watching hockey...and my computer automatically just shut down. (i was only doing all this because i couldn't watch youtube for more than 30seconds without my computer shutting down).  I tried turning back on...it would get to the win login password and then shutdown again...i dont know if i hit a safe temperature setting where it'd shutdown if it got too hot.  Before i did this idiot of a mistake...the temperatures were really bad....i hadn't cleaned my computer in a so long...bought a duster can and cleaned all the fans outs and wow...should've done that along time ago!  After all that i was able to start it up in safe mode and uninstalled the program...along with its settings it "said".  I've ran dxdiag in my "run" to get my system specs, and everything else is fine...except for some reason it says i only have a 1.09Ghz processor??? I have the receipt still of my computer from years back when i first bought it...that the processor is a AMD Athalon 3200+XP 2.2Ghz....All the different Specs Programs recognize that its a BARTON family chip, the lowest Barton processor is 2500XP+ 1.8Ghz....so ive obviously done something...im scared to take the actually cpu fan off and look at the chip itself.  After finding all this out i restarted the computer and went into my bios and just said restore all defaults...dont know if that was a good thing or not?? and then also i did "restart from last known good configuration".  So for the last couple days, my computers been running at slow speeds, but not shutting down are overheating...with many programs open and multitasking.  Is my bus speed supposed to be maxed out like that???  And in the top left part of the picture the general info of the CPU...there's 2 athalon XP's there, with only 1 being monitored??
I would really appreciate it if you could help me out with some feed back! 
Im glad i found this site, reading alot of your reviews have been so helping in just basic maintenance of my computer that i never knew were so important!

Thanks so much

Dylan

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

DPalmz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• EyEz
    • Yes
Re: Might have down clocked my CPU???
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:21:08 AM »
 Actual image for the Specs of my computer.

|
     |
     |
    \/

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=119474.0;attach=17926;image           (.gif)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:04:54 AM by DPalmz »

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:57:47 AM »
Your post is a little difficult for me to get through. However, I read the first part of it and can tell you that if you used "registry cleaners" or other such utilities you probably did some damage to the system. There is no such thing as a good registry cleaners and in fact they typically CREATE problems, not cure them.

DPalmz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• EyEz
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:36:10 AM »
oh wow...yeah i used CCleaner Registered, SuperAntiSpyware Registered, Avast AntiVirus Registered...and TDSSkiller that came back with computer when i brought it back into a shop.  Yeah i read my main post after, it was even kind of confusing for me to follow...up way too late.  Are these programs dangerous that ive listed??  Did you have a look at the specs picture??  My bus speed shouldnt only be 100? and thats maxed right out also....

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »
"Registered" programs have nothing to do with the Windows Registry.  None of the ones you've listed are "dangerous".
Athlon XP may or may not be Barton, Speccy is not always reliable in identifying this.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/TYPE-Athlon%20XP.html
I think this might be your Barton CPU:  http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Low-power%20Athlon%20XP%202500%2B%20-%20AXDL2500DLV4D.html
If so, Bus Speed is set incorrectly in BIOS.  Set Bus Speed to 166MHz instead of 100MHz.
BTW, see if CPU-Z reports the same.  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:50:38 PM by Computer_Commando »

DPalmz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• EyEz
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:32:19 AM »
Thanks for response Computer_Commando.  I used the CPU-ID program and it listed the Exact Same Parameters.  That is my exact CPU and thanks for that.  I went into my BIOS and it showed some Temperatures:
CPU Temperature 42°C / 102°F
MB Temperature 25°C / 77°F

Should i go and get a new CPU fan or something...Heat Sink?

Thanks

DPalmz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• EyEz
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »
Thanks for all your help!!
Change my FSB and its back to its normal operating speeds!!

Dylan