Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unusual beep code  (Read 14530 times)

Hopester Doofus

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    Re: Unusual beep code
    « Reply #30 on: August 29, 2005, 11:19:39 AM »
    My first entry here said the beep happens during post. That was wrong. It happens before POST.

The sequence of events is:

1)  PC freezes, and is completely unresponsive. Only way out is to manually power down. It is now happening during gaming sessions, and it's happening with several different games.

2) When I power up again, it doesn't even go to POST. Just the beeping. BEEEEEEEEP, (pause)  BEEEEEEEEEP, (pause) BEEEEEEEEEP. And it will continue beeping until I power down again.

Memory checked out, temp seems fine, card is properly seated (AGP slot hooks are in place). Viruses: no. Spyware: no. Video drivers: not the latest because that requires SP2 and I haven't bothered with that yet. But the problem occurred with my previous card and those drivers were up to date.
    There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #31 on: August 29, 2005, 02:56:49 PM »
      What bios do you have?

Raptor

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2005, 03:20:40 PM »
      The sequence of events is:

1)  PC freezes, and is completely unresponsive. Only way out is to manually power down. It is now happening during gaming sessions, and it's happening with several different games.

2) When I power up again, it doesn't even go to POST. Just the beeping. BEEEEEEEEP, (pause)  BEEEEEEEEEP, (pause) BEEEEEEEEEP. And it will continue beeping until I power down again.

1. You have tested the RAM?

2. Is your Power Supply Unit living up to the computers demands?

Linda Horan

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2005, 06:02:46 PM »
      Just thought I would put in my two cents. I recently had a similiar problem, My temps checked out okay too and I checked everything..... the beeps drove me crazy. no consistant beeps to compare with. I replaced the power supply. and that solved the problem. No more beeps and no more freeze ups.

Hopester Doofus

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
        « Reply #34 on: August 29, 2005, 07:54:10 PM »
        Fed,
        What bios do you have?

Award v6.00PG

Raptor:
        1. You have tested the RAM?

2. Is your Power Supply Unit living up to the computers demands?

1. Sure have. No apparent problems. Used Microsoft Memory Diagnostic and let it cycle for about two hours.

2. I've been wondering about that. My power supply is 300 watts. I have an Athlon XP processor, 128MB video card, two hard drives, CD-RW drive, DVD-ROM drive. I calculated rough power usage through this website: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=AMD and found I'm using about 270 watts. That's probably cutting it a little close, isn't it?

Hi Linda!
        Just thought I would put in my two cents. I recently had a similiar problem, My temps checked out okay too and I checked everything..... the beeps drove me crazy. no consistant beeps to compare with. I replaced the power supply. and that solved the problem. No more beeps and no more freeze ups.

I'll certainly consider that. It wouldn't surprise me. Thanks a million for taking the time to respond.

Hopester Doofus

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
          « Reply #35 on: August 29, 2005, 07:57:08 PM »
          but aida32/sisoftsanda would have reported this psu problem.maybe where the person lives has power outrages.

Might it be something as simple as a power dip? I do use a surge suppressor, but not a UPS.

What about motherboard drivers?
          « Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 08:43:55 PM by DabbaDoo »

Raptor

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2005, 02:35:56 AM »
          I've been wondering about that. My power supply is 300 watts. I have an Athlon XP processor, 128MB video card, two hard drives, CD-RW drive, DVD-ROM drive. I calculated rough power usage through this website: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd= AMD and found I'm using about 270 watts. That's probably cutting it a little close, isn't it?

That is only an approximation. The Power Supply Unit may not be 300 Watts truepower, meaning it is having a very difficult time keeping up with the strain that you place on it.

What brand and product is it? What kind of voltages does the BIOS report?

Hopester Doofus

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
            « Reply #37 on: August 30, 2005, 06:39:17 PM »
            Power Supply:  Sparkle Power Inc., Model No. FSP300-60ATV

Here's what it looks like, and the specs:

http://www.aopen.com.tw/products/power/FSP300-60ATV.htm

BIOS reports the following:

Vcore  =  1.68 v
            +3.3v  =  3.32 v
            +5v    =  4.99 v
            +12v  =  11.85 v
            -12v  =  -11.86 v
            -5v    =  -4.94 v
            VBAT(V)  =  3.60 v
            SVSB(V)  =  5.17 v

« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 06:40:57 PM by DabbaDoo »

Raptor

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2005, 04:59:13 AM »
            They do not seem dangerously low or high, but to eliminate the PSU as a factor, you should install a higher quality PSU.

Hopester Doofus

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
              « Reply #39 on: August 31, 2005, 04:00:20 PM »
              I'm on it. That better be it.   >:(

Thanks as always.

Raptor

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2005, 04:26:27 PM »
              Before you buy a new PSU, first test this on another PC to see if the results are the same. Then take the PSU from that machine and move it to the system under investigation.

merlin_2

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2005, 05:25:24 PM »
              Faulty motherboard.
              « Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 05:26:46 PM by merlin_2 »

Hopester Doofus

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
                « Reply #42 on: August 31, 2005, 09:33:14 PM »
                Before you buy a new PSU, first test this on another PC to see if the results are the same. Then take the PSU from that machine and move it to the system under investigation.

Sound advice. After thinking about it a little more, I started thinking that while the psu might explain the lock ups, I'm not sure if I could also blame it for the strange beeping on power up. I have access to a 450W psu and I'm going to try that for awhile.

Faulty motherboard.

Wouldn't surprise me, Merl.