Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer turns itself off  (Read 6736 times)

Sloth2

Computer turns itself off
« on: June 28, 2004, 11:01:57 PM »
It's great. I'll be in the middle of doing something anything, and the computer shuts down. About a mnothy ago i had a problem where we couldn't get past start up and had to replace the motherboard.

My problem was occuring before that. Anyhow i was reformatting my hard drive and it shutdown in the middle of that today. Does anyone know why the computer would automatically shut down?

I don't know if it is a dodgy power supply, but the cable feels loose when i put it in and it sometimes makes a static noise.. The box also gets pretty hot which seems unusual, yet the fan is still working

Any help?

Cheers

Joleen

Re: Computer turns itself off
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 04:43:13 AM »
It makes a static noise???  I'd replace that asap.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 05:20:07 AM »
I suggest you do as Joleen said, beore you damage any computer components.

MalikTous

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 11:36:30 AM »
Bad power supply or cable. Replace the part making the 'static noise'. Most likely just the power cable, but could be bad connections on the power supply socket. Pull the power supply and put a decent one in and/or replace the bad cable.

Is the heating on the PC case, the power supply back only, or the power cable end at the power supply? That can let you focus on which part to replace. And you can add fans if it is the case heating up. Maybe something is full of dust and is choking the cooling flow?

merlin

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 01:48:53 PM »
have a look also at the bios del key on boot and check the health tab your mobo may have a thermal cut out on it?how long is it on for when it does this  and what o/s is it....and the phantom blaster virus will shut your pc down....did you get any warnings of a shutdown...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 01:50:47 PM by merlin »