Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Taken to site could not get out of  (Read 3214 times)

Whatisavailable

Taken to site could not get out of
« on: May 28, 2011, 06:20:04 PM »
 ??? Yesterday I was on a legitimate website that I go to often. If it helps, the website is about plants and flowers and has pictures/images to click on to enlarge. I was clicking on the images to enlarge them and everything was fine until I clicked on the next one and suddenly I was no longer on the web site but brought to a screen which at the top said "OOPS-Error" then in the middle of the screen was a box which read: "You are the May 27th Winner ! Click below on OK to claim your prize!" Of course I didn't click on it and managed to get out of it by using my normal red "X" at the far top right of my screen to "X" out. I've seen similar prize winning notices appear before, but I was never taken out of a web site that I was on.  I used the computer a few more minutes, it seemed fine, then I shut down.  Later I went back on, clicked the Firefox icon as usual which should bring me to Yahoo. Instead, my entire screen filled up with a picture of people and words saying that "you've won an IPOD" and that box in the center again that said "Click OK below to claim your prize."  In the upper corner of that box was an "x", I clicked that to try and get out,  but then it said "Wait ! Don't Do This, Click OK to Claim Your Prize".  Since this time the entire screen was filled end to end with this fake "site" , my normal "X" at the far top right wasn't there, the Back Button wasn't there, no toolbar, the Start button lower left corner was gone. 'Control Alt Delete' and ' Escape' did not work either. I could not get out. I didn't know what else to do but to shut down at the power button. Not longer after, I turned on the computer again, got to Windows, ran my virus scan and boot scan, which said there was no threat found. Today, I did not see the fake prize site. Now I am afraid to go back to my favorite website that I was on when the problem started. I don't know if this company's web site on that one image they had is affected or if it was just my system. I don't know if the problem is still lurking around, if there is anything else I should do, etc. If anyone can help me understand what happened I would appreciate it. Sorry for so much detail here, I just tried to give as much information as possible. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:34:54 PM by Whatisavailable »

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Taken to site could not get out of
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:45:47 AM »
Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html