Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: D:\CD-Rom is first boot in Setup and I can't boot-up  (Read 8687 times)

H. Brown

Topic Starter

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
D:\CD-Rom is first boot in Setup and I can't boot-up
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:13:16 PM »
The computer OS is Win98 SE,4.10.2222A;  Genuine Intel x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 3 ; This computer was working fine until I changed to D:\ CD-ROM as FIRST BOOT in setup from A:\ Floppy.  Now I can't boot up at all.  I thought that the computer would simply try booting to second boot or third boot if no disk is in the CD drive.  All the computer will do is keep trying to operate the CD drive.  What can I do to get back into setup or, what CD-ROM disk would I need to boot the computer, even if I have to clean and format and reinstall.  Please help, thank you in advance.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: D:\CD-Rom is first boot in Setup and I can't boot-up
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:34:16 PM »
Welcome!
Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
The forum  help everyone with all computer questions.

You do not need to format the hard drive.

Did you try nto boot with no CD present in the drive?
Did you try to boot from a floppy?

This forum area is for Windows before Windows 2000. So the question is why would you want to boot from the CD if the OS is windows 98? To install Windows 98 you always use a floppy to boot.  If the system has to be repaired, do it from the floppy.

In any case, you had to go into the BIOS to change the boot order. Go back there and change it to the original settings.

Are you unable to get into BIOS because of the CD-Rom issue? I don't know of any older computers that do that, but maybe it happens.

Do you know how to open the case and disconnect the CD-ROM? If so, you can do that, power off of course, close the case and power up. It should ignore the CD-ROM because it is not there.

Now you should be able to  get into BIOS or boot from a floppy or the hard drive. Later, when you get it sorted out, connect the CD-ROM again.

If none of this helps, , please tell what you did and what error messages, if any, you got.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: D:\CD-Rom is first boot in Setup and I can't boot-up
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:59:04 PM »
To install Windows 98 you always use a floppy to boot.  If the system has to be repaired, do it from the floppy.

The OP is probably long gone, but a floppy isn't necessary to boot Windows98 SE, it's a bootable disc. It was only necessary for pre-SE versions of 98 and computers that didn't support booting from a CD, which I'm guessing this one does since they were able to set it in the BIOS.