Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Constantly Checking Disk for Consistancy, IE8 freezes compuer, Runs HOT  (Read 4419 times)

angelec23

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Hello, I have had trouble off and on since I bought this thing. Please see below for specs:

HP Touchsmart Laptop
    AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHz
    4.0 GB Ram(3.75GB usable)
    64-bit Operating System
    Pen and Touch Imput
    Windows 7 Ultimate(upgraded- not clean install)
    Ad-Aware
    Java6 update 20
    McAfee Security Center
    Network Magic(Love it- want to keep)
    Spybot

Almost everytime I shutdown completely, when starting up, will always ask to d a disk check... if allowed to count down and attempt the check 1 out of 10 time it Will run check, other times will freeze up and I have to hold power button, the remove power source and battery.... also IE8 always freezes up computer, but otherbrowsers wont... AMD runs hot I know, but this is on a chill mat with fans constantly and gets too hot to touch, all the while fan is running fast trying to cool.... Help is MUCH appreciated... we rely on this thing...

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    It may appear to be freezing however you have to understand Windows creates some pretty large directories...

Let it run overnite...and report back
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

angelec23

Topic Starter

Beginner
      At which point should I leave it to run overnight? IE freeze or at the disk check freeze? Both are Very easy to get it to do.... And also fairly hard to avoid.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      Sorry i misunderstood...i was under the impression chkdsk was not completing...

Disregard the above.
      Is your Warranty still active ? ? If so i'd be exercising it...

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Go to START - RUN and type chkdsk /r (then press enter). You'll be asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes. Then reboot and allow checkdisk to run.

Your system is detecting a dirty bit on the HD and is running autocheck. Unfortunately, autocheck does not run with the repair switch (I know it's moronic), so you have to do that manually to fix the error.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      I was not aware of that little tidbit Allan...Thanx for the heads up !

Why on Earth would MS set it up that way ? ?
      Sometimes they manage to befuddle me...

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      I have no idea - it makes absolutely no sense. But it's the reason folks say that checkdisk wants to run on every boot. You can either clear the autocheck by running chkntfs /x (which I recommend against because it doesn't fix anything) or you can run chkdsk /r "manually".

angelec23

Topic Starter

Beginner
        Will try! I'll let u know if it happens again... that is really dumb for them to have done that! And no on the warranty... Just out a few mths ago...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        Why on Earth would MS set it up that way ? ?
        Sometimes they manage to befuddle me...

it might be related to the fact that a /r scan of a drive can often take at least 45 minutes to an hour on the average drive. They sort of figured that people would want to use their computers, not watch it scan it's drives!

hairsplitting: the /r, according to the /? help, stands for "recover" (well, it says "scans for and attempts recovery of bad sectors") I'd go with "repair" at least in some sense, but at teh same time /f stands for fix and fixes most other errors relating to everything <but> bad sectors.

Also, chkdsk /f will clear the dirty bit, and won't take a spinsters weekend to complete. by default a boot time autochk is passed the /f switch.

Lastly, you can query the dirty bit of a drive using fsutil:
        Code: [Select]
        fsutil dirty query C:

you can set it, as well. but not unset- only chkdsk can turn off the dirty bit. (well, and of course disk editors and other utilities)
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

angelec23

Topic Starter

Beginner
          OK, still having trouble with this. I hve just been dealing with it because it does not do this constantly...  I have tried the ms config and the commands you said to type... but nothing happens. literally. It does not do anything and when I restart I am prompted for a diskcheck again...
          Sorry for not being able to get on this sooner, but this past year has been aweful and i have not had the time to mess with it. Now i have to, because i need this computer for school. Thnk you for anything you think might help!!!!

angelec23

Topic Starter

Beginner
            I havegone over and over these steps again and again.... I type in the run box:

chkdsk /f
            chkdsk /r
            chkdsk volume:/r

the only thing that happens is a flash of the black box you would expect to see and then it is gone, back to the screen you were working on, in this case this webpage. Any more suggestions to correct this?? I still have the diskcheck screen everytime I startup. Sometimes it allows bypass by hitting a button, and most times I have to force shutdown and try again and again to get it to bypass... it will get stuck on the black screen sayng to hit any button to stop diskcheck, stuck on 1 second remaining, and the light showing the disk/computer is working(that blinks on and off during opperation) blinks every second on the second, and will not let me past that screen without forced shutdown.