Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New LCD Widescreen Monitor (HP) acting like 2?  (Read 1855 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    New LCD Widescreen Monitor (HP) acting like 2?
    « on: June 09, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »
    Right, so I recently got a new computer, which came with a widescreen lcd monitor.

I notice a problem however, I think it believes I have 2.

I may full screen to play a game, and when I come back, programs left up like firefox, I unminimize and it unminimizes it off of my screen to the right, making me unable to see it.

I also notice my cursor can just float off to the right and take forever to get back, as if its going to a second monitor.

As you can see, it seems pretty obvious, but I am no expert on this. It seems as if it thinks I have 2 monitors...which I dont. Is there anything anyone knows of that we can do to fix this.

Just ask if you need my specs.

I appreciate the help (If any) guys.
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

truenorth

Guru

Re: New LCD Widescreen Monitor (HP) acting like 2?
      « Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:09:46 AM »
      You don't mention your O/S is i presume it is win 7 (doesn't look like xp as on the computer i am viewing your post). It is definitely going to be a user selected parameter in your "display" settings. I note "extend these displays" in your set parameter. What other options do you have available there? I have only recently begun using win 7 on a laptop so unfortunately i am not as familiar as others may be with it yet. I do know that by pressing the "windows and P " keys simultaneously you can chose between a variety of options (one of which IS extended). I suspect you need to go that route and change to the option of a single screen ( or monitor only if that is what it is--i forget for the moment all the choices) good luck,truenorth

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:10:08 AM »
      I just duplicated the situation you described in my Windows 7 system.  Why Win 7 allows the condition to occur when only monitor is attached is something I don't have an answer for, but it does allow the condition to occur.

truenorth touched on the solution.  Press your Windows key and P together to view some options regarding your display.  Click on the first option there, which is "Computer only".  That should resolve the problem.

Edit: here's a reference which sheds some light on the feature: http://blogs.win7deployment.com/clintongarbutt/2009/07/windows-key-p-presentation-mode/   The feature relates to use of a projector with the computer for presentation purposes.  Again, I don't know Win 7 allows such a setting to be enabled when no projector is attached.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »
        @Truenorth - Apologies, I forgot, yes its Win 7.

@Soybean - Thank you. I tried it and it worked. It probably didnt even start like this, but I play this mod for gta IV PC (Laggy but still fun) which requires me to Alt + P, easily could of hit Windows key + P and not notice it.
        Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)